• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping bonded rabbits apart after neutering????

Bailey's

Mama Doe
Following on from my thread yesterday (some have you may remember?). I spoke to staff at P@H today to see when the boys will be being neutered, they are being done tomorrow. The chap I spoke to on the phone advised that they needed to be kept apart for two weeks so they didn't pull each others stitches/wounds! Now I was always under the impression that bonded bunnies should not be kept apart as it can cause their bond to break down. Also I am concerned that this would cause even more stress for them considering how much they have been though up to now. The change in location is going to be bad enough. I just really want to get them home with us and settled in. When I last had two bunnies neutered at the same time they were always kept together. It goes without saying we will keep a very close eye on them anyway.

So am I right or are they better to be apart for while?

Yes and no is the answer depending on the rabbits. If they are laid back and fairly quiet you should be ok keeping them together. I kept my 2 brothers together when they came home from being neutered because I was as sure as you can be that they would be ok. And they were. On the other hand, one of my girls went in to be spayed at the same time as her Mother had her teeth out and the daughter started attacking Mum shortly after arriving home annd in the end I separated them, so you can never be too sure. I hope the boys will be ok, you will just have to play it by ear so to speak. Glad they have found a good home.

in my opionion i would keep them together and see how they go, they are just as able to pull their own stitches out aswell as one anothers x

I kept my girls together all the time and they were no bother. This is despite the fact that we had them spayed due to their arguing! They still squabble now but during recouperation they were quite docile and were fine. I'd be wary about splitting them up to be honest. Just make sure you keep a very close eye on them though, then you can take action if necessary.

I kept my buck and doe apart for 2 days simply because they had started to fight before their op's and had been apart (side by side cages) for a week. As soon as they were hopping about again I put them back together without any issues. Had they not been fighting I'd have kept them together the whole time.
Ps when I say apart - we bought 2 huge indoor cages and kept them end to end with the little shelves touching so they could snuggle through the bars.

Yeh, I think I will see how they go and only split them if it becomes a problem. we are all just desperate to get them home with us now! They are such little sweeties!

I've just posted a pic on my original thread if you want a nosey!:)

Just an update for you.

Both boys had their op today, all went well and they are both eating OK and the vet thinks they will be fine kept together, which is a relief. As we live a good distance from P@H they have agreed to keep them there until they have had their post op check on thursday. We are hopefully picking them up saturday morning to bring them home.

I WANT IT TO BE SATURDAY NOW!

I know u cant control the situation with PAH but when I had my Bella neutered, after my male flopsy was already neutered and they were bonded, I kept them inside for a few days in a run and separated them with a mesh barrier so they could smell each other and interact but not touch. This worked really well for me :D

By the way, good luck with the new boys :)

Last edited:
Back