• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles with stasis- not looking good.

Just bought Doodee back from the vet.
She was herself yesterday but this morning got up to a hunched miserable bunny who would not look at forbidden food and who just did not seem well. Doodee is prone to gut stasis but my hunch was it was hiding something else.

The poor thing is snuggled on vet bed piddling on my carpet and looking at me in hope I will make the fire work and it to all go away. Her statsis response was a reaction to a hidden chest infection. The poor girl is wheezy and sounded like a bugpipe with the stethascope. She may have been quietly brewing this one up for a few days under my radar. [I feel guilty as she is a house bun and I can normally spot when one of the buns is about to go sick]

She has had anti b, anti-inflamatories, and gutmobiliser jabs, she has baytril oral twice daily and I have left her with the best blackberry, dandelions, plantain and apple leaves I could find in my garden [the blackberry seems to be slowly chewed as the drugs are kicking in]

I have seen her with bad stasis before but I never seen her look so woebegone as she looks right now. I can heat the snugglesafe and make her a warm nest to curl in. She is not near any of my other rabbits as she has always lunged to kill at any rabbit she has meet. Really hope she perks up a bit later this afternoon.

Any other suggestions for nursing a bun through the first stage of snuffles whilst in stasis?

Last edited:
Poor girl, stasis is often a secondary symptom of another underlying problem

Keeping her well hydrated is important. Is she drinking for herself ?

Any attempt at syringe feeding needs to be done with extreme caution for a Bun with a respiratory problem. They are at greater risk of aspirating a feed.

I would just keep tempting her with various forage/herbs/veg etc. I hope she feels better soon xx

Thanks Jane- I had not thought about the risk of aspirating.

I will see if I can tempt her to drink with both a bowl of water and offering her her drink bottle frequently.

I think the pain releif is starting to kick in as she is nibbling teeny bits from time to time. Will see if she manages to build that up over the day and leave the syringe feeding if she does not perk up soon.

With the chest infection would 'fluffed' science select pellets [small amount of water and warmed in the microwave to make them smell good and be easy to lick and taste] be a better option that grinding them to make a syringe feed?

Back