• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Argh- giving liquid panacur

blue_vix

Mama Doe
I'm having a right stuggle to give the liquid panacur. I got the liquid instead of the paste as it's cheaper (ALOT cheaper) and the new vet says it's better because you can give a more accurate dose that the paste. However how on earth do you get them to take it? I'm giving doses between 1.3 and 2.3 mls (1ml per kg) but they aren't getting the full dose, they struggle and fight me, turn their heads etc and it ends up going down their chin and down my arm. I don't have anyone who can help me. Benjamin is the worst one, he opens his mouth for it and just lets it all trickle out rather than swallow. At least the others swallow what I get in their mouths. As they are also having baytril x2 a day they are all starting to hate me and be right pains to catch and handle etc (not that I blame them). I'm wondering if to get all the carry cases out and seperately giving them each their medication with their pellets. It will be a pain but probably less of a pain than trying to syringe them it. It's going to be a nightmare when I start work, because I'll be doing it in the dark as well.

I'm having a right stuggle to give the liquid panacur. I got the liquid instead of the paste as it's cheaper (ALOT cheaper) and the new vet says it's better because you can give a more accurate dose that the paste. However how on earth do you get them to take it? I'm giving doses between 1.3 and 2.3 mls (1ml per kg) but they aren't getting the full dose, they struggle and fight me, turn their heads etc and it ends up going down their chin and down my arm. I don't have anyone who can help me. Benjamin is the worst one, he opens his mouth for it and just lets it all trickle out rather than swallow. At least the others swallow what I get in their mouths. As they are also having baytril x2 a day they are all starting to hate my and me right pains to catch and handle etc (not that I blame them). I'm wondering if to get all the carry cases out and seperately giving them each the medication with their pellets. It will be a pain but probably less of a pain than trying to syrine them it. It's going to be a nightmare when I start work, because I'll be doing it in the dark as well.

I am assuming you are not using the 10% liquid then ?

You only need to give 0.4ml/kg with that.

I'd mix it to a paste with a little baby rice or ground oats or similar then syringe that.

I put bun on a towel on the table, bottom to me, hand over head, lift lip, insert syringe, deliver meds slowly, keep head up until meds are swallowed.

If you get it mixed to a paste with something tasty perhaps you could spread the paste on a tasty leaf like basil or sage then roll it up or sandwich with a second leaf.

I am assuming you are not using the 10% liquid then ?

You only need to give 0.4ml/kg with that.

*Sigh* I always seem to get the wrong stuff. I asked about the liquid when you said about it and the vet said yeah thats better, I'm just giving what he said so it must be a less concentration- off to check

I just got some yesterday to give one of mine. I have only given 1 syringe so far and it went OK. If I have trouble I will try to put it in banana for her or something else she likes.

I'm suprised they would only treat one, are they kept seperate?
I wouldn't want to give them something like banana everyday for 4 weeks :(
I will see if I can get 7 little medi pots and mix them each a paste and try the leaf thing. I have lots of hawthorn at the mo.

I used to squirt it into the middle of a mini-shredded wheat and then they'd just eat it :D.

I'm suprised they would only treat one, are they kept seperate?
I wouldn't want to give them something like banana everyday for 4 weeks :(
I will see if I can get 7 little medi pots and mix them each a paste and try the leaf thing. I have lots of hawthorn at the mo.

Yes, mine are separate but was dealing with statis with the other one at the same time this weekend so will check on doing her too. Mine is only the 7 day course but so far have managed to get it directly into her mouth, she is not keen on it though :lol: Yeah, 29 days of nana would not be good.

Basil leaves are good for hiding meds in so long as it doesn't roll off.

Back