• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch recommendations please?

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/summ...rples-n-grant-(available-in-store-only)-38775

Thats what ive got just now, id really like one roughly the same size (due to having a hutch hugger for it) but i need a sturdier one as ive had this just over a year and it recked already and advice recommendations would be great thanks

Wrecked in what way? One of my pairs of ungrateful bunnies, chewed the walls of my expensive 8 foot Kernow hutch, so I had to line it with plywood. If you're not prepared to upgrade to bigger than a 5 foot, why not renovate and make safe the current one?

Have a look at Ryedale hutches, they are beautifly made and last. They are a bit more expensve but they are bigger than the P@H ones :thumb:

1. With pops chewing it
2. With the weather

I wouldnt mind getting a bigger one just not a smaller one. I need to do alot to it go renovate it, and i just have no talent for that at all

Regarding chewing - I cover all chewable surfaces with plastic covers. Another method is to use wooden batons at cover the exposed nibblable (?) surfaces. I'll try and find photos of my buns modifications (and what I had to do) :)

Regarding the weather, the hutch hugger should be protecting it?

Regarding chewing - I cover all chewable surfaces with plastic covers. Another method is to use wooden batons at cover the exposed nibblable (?) surfaces. I'll try and find photos of my buns modifications (and what I had to do) :)

Regarding the weather, the hutch hugger should be protecting it?

Exactly my thoughts for buying but nope it isnt, its protecting my bunny from the weather but not the hutch, its not 100% water proof :/ The hutch still ends up damp :/

Amber literally ate her old hutch door so i had to get a new one made with reinforced metal strips all the way round it!

Exactly my thoughts for buying but nope it isnt, its protecting my bunny from the weather but not the hutch, its not 100% water proof :/ The hutch still ends up damp :/
:evil: That's a really bad design that despite being covered, it's still getting wet. A serious worry as when you stuff loads of hay in for insulation in the winter (as well as nommage), it's going to get damp. Bummer.

Thinking cap on.

toys, chewing block and run

When you do get another hutch try putting some blocks of wood in and maybe she will chew that instead of the hutch also put plenty of toys in to because your bunny being bored may also be the reason she is chewing it and another thing is does she have free access to a run all day. When your bunny is bored she will do stuff she is no meant to do.
Hope this helps :D

Yeah, the clear plastic a the front of them is a god send buns covered but can still watch the world go by but its the green bit that still lets water through and living in scotland you get A LOT of rain :lol::lol:

Just found a hutch that i think she would like but a dunno about it, it seems good and hard wearing but its slightly smaller :/

When you do get another hutch try putting some blocks of wood in and maybe she will chew that instead of the hutch also put plenty of toys in to because your bunny being bored may also be the reason she is chewing it and another thing is does she have free access to a run all day. When your bunny is bored she will do stuff she is no meant to do.

Sorry but I don't agree 100% with this. One of my pairs of buns that live in an 8 x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 hutch and have shed loads of twigs, willow toys etc. as well as free range time out to destroy the garden, still chewed the hutch walls. I don't think it's as cut and dried as giving them something to occupy them.

Shes always got some twigs, one of the log tunnel things, a card board tube and some other small toys. She doesnt have constant access to a run but does get out in the run when weather allows she was out in it today for a good couple of hours.

Yeah, the clear plastic a the front of them is a god send buns covered but can still watch the world go by but its the green bit that still lets water through and living in scotland you get A LOT of rain :lol::lol:

Just found a hutch that i think she would like but a dunno about it, it seems good and hard wearing but its slightly smaller :/
Smaller than 5 foot is not good :(

You could re-proof the cover, camping shops sell spray for waterproofing tents but do it well away from the buns obviously. Any hutches need a decent coat of treatment such as cuprinol every year or two.
It would probably be cheaper to pay a joiner to replace the chewn bits than to replace it.

Thats so much bigger and like £30 dearer than what i was looking at.

I wants it:lol:

Dunno if me and my mum would be able to put it up though :lol:

Toys and chewing blocks

Sorry but I don't agree 100% with this. One of my pairs of buns that live in an 8 x 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 hutch and have shed loads of twigs, willow toys etc. as well as free range time out to destroy the garden, still chewed the hutch walls. I don't think it's as cut and dried as giving them something to occupy them.

This works for my bunnys but i suppose different bunnys have different attitudes.my buns only ever chewed the inside a little bit:D

Back