• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP - Don't know what to do

Cornishlass

Mama Doe
Smudge has free range of the garden till dark then goes into an aviary that is 9' by 12' with a 4' x 4' playhouse within that - went to put him tonight but noticed a lump of poo on his tummy - went to get it off but it was very stuck and wet. So pulled off what I could then got a warm wet cloth and washed off what I could. I can't see where he can have got it from - he's eating as normal, drinking and doing normal poos. Not diarrhorea. Very weird. It's late - so I've dried him off as much as he will let me and have put him to bed in his usual box of hay within the playhouse nad given him a snugglesafe to help keep him warm and help him get dry. Will check him first thing in the morning. Can't do much more. He can't come in the house as hubby is anaphalactic around rabbits. Will ring vets first thing..... Bless - never had this before. He is 6 years old and quite healthy apart from this...

If it's on his tummy, is it definitely his...? :? If everything else is normal?

ETA: Or maybe it's a ceacatroph (sp) that he's smudged on himself while running about instead of eating?

Yes, checked for maggots. It has to be his really - haven't seen any cat mess and apart from cats - that I haven't seen in there in MONTHS, it's enclosed and rabbit proofed. It seems a lot of it though :(

Bless he was very good - he did kick and scratch but eventually realised I was helping and kept still. Where I had him done years ago seems to be a kinda split either side of his penis that is sort of poo crusted - both sides - I realise this could just be usual rabbit anatomy but no idea. Bless him. xxx

Yes, checked for maggots. It has to be his really - haven't seen any cat mess and apart from cats - that I haven't seen in there in MONTHS, it's enclosed and rabbit proofed. It seems a lot of it though :(

Bless he was very good - he did kick and scratch but eventually realised I was helping and kept still. Where I had him done years ago seems to be a kinda split either side of his penis that is sort of poo crusted - both sides - I realise this could just be usual rabbit anatomy but no idea. Bless him. xxx

Think you may be referring to his scent glands - these sometimes need a clean.

:oops: Oh, will look at that in the morning - just been down with a torch - he is alive and looking well. Phew! Will check on him first thing.... Thanks everyone.

YAY! Smudge been to vets - he's fine - said to keep an eye on his poos but that that sometimes happens - as a one off. So relieved. Thanks everyone.

Back