• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips on splitting a room

Janey

Warren Veteran
I have failed to bond a trio so am at my second last resort of splitting the bunny room for them to all live in side by side.

I know this isn't ideal and can result in referred aggression etc, I am hoping however that my pair may get used to sharing their room and this will subside, it has to be bettr than single bun living out by herself in a hutch doesn't it?

I have ordered some NIC cubes, it's the only way I can think of to split the room, but just wounding if anybody has split room and how successful it has been, any tips on how your minimised disruption etc?

They are all stuck in dog crates at the mo getting very stressed, I thinks at least for now my set up will have to have a gap between them to minimise issues, I have kept them in the same room so they can smell and hear each other but at opposite ends of the room, may slowly start pushing them together and see what happens.

No advice about splitting the room however do make sure the NIC cube panels are cable tied otherwise you will end up with escapees. Oh and make sure it's high enough too to stop them leaping over.

No advice about splitting the room however do make sure the NIC cube panels are cable tied otherwise you will end up with escapees. Oh and make sure it's high enough too to stop them leaping over.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not even sure the NIC cubes will work but not sure what else to try. I seem to have spent an awful lot of money on things that don't end up working recently :roll:

I think someone on here split a shed! Not sure who! If someone on here knows who it is, maybe you could pm them! ;)

Thanks for the tip,I will try and have a search now.

I'm completely at my wits end knowing what to do with them, sitting here crying right now, it's so pathetic, I'm an adult for goodness sake :roll:

What about a meatl playpen ,if you undo it and open it out its very big and you can get them high enough and a lot sturdier than nic cubes ,zooplus is good :) ,you are not the only one who gets stressed and upset about things like this ,i am just the same :(

What about a meatl playpen ,if you undo it and open it out its very big and you can get them high enough and a lot sturdier than nic cubes ,zooplus is good :) ,you are not the only one who gets stressed and upset about things like this ,i am just the same :(

Thank you for the idea, I will have a look.

I just feel so silly-ha ha. Whatever I try to do to solve the problem just doesn't work and the problem continues, plus all these failed ideas are costing me a fortune which is even more frustrating because the people I 'rescued' this bunny are from are really wealthy.

Moan over, just need to come up with plan Z :roll:

I've split a room with a puppy pen, I believe it's 16ft long when opened out and 3 1/2 ft. It only cost around £30 off ebay.

It's not to separate rabbits, its to keep them from the guinea pig c&c cages, they can shove their nose a fair way through it so might not be suitable for side by side buns.

I've split a room with a puppy pen, I believe it's 16ft long when opened out and 3 1/2 ft. It only cost around £30 off ebay.

It's not to separate rabbits, its to keep them from the guinea pig c&c cages, they can shove their nose a fair way through it so might not be suitable for side by side buns.

Thanks, I will have a look on ebay.

This is why I initially thought to use NIC cubes cos I could double them up, kind of a boundary on each side a couple of inches apart so noses don't get nipped, at the moment I can barely let the bunnies out of their dog crates cos Poppy goes straight over to nip Pixie who is insistent on sticking her nose through all the time :roll: I thought she might learn after a few nips but it seems not.

i dont know if this will help or not but..

my 3 couples are all currently in playpen set-ups until their new play house is built and to have more room i have a 10 panel pen set up as is, then an 8 that uses 2 panels of the 10 one so it becomes 10 and then another 8 panel pen that attaches to that so its also a 10 panel size.

i dont know if that even makes much sense but it means that the neighbours only have one panel between them (no space), the two couples i tried to make a quad never really had a problem being next to each other, occasionally they will scratch at each other but its once in a blue moon and it only like one scratch and thats it, most of the time they lay next to each other, right up against the pen panel.

but then on the other side (three pens are all in a row so the middle couple have two sets of neighbours - so friendliest couple got put in the middle :lol:) i have a couple that hates anyone else, so i ziptied cardboard up between them and although of course they were bound to rip it apart, without it they were very territorial and ran around like crazy, but this way they slowly took down the cardboard and slowly saw each other more and more, and now most of it is gone and they arent fussed by each other, apart from Mojo (male in the middle pen), liking to mark his territory next to that side even though there is no litter tray there :roll: but other than that they are fine!

im sorry if that doesnt make sense :l but i guess what im saying is if you go for a play pen then i would attach cardboard so they cant see each other :) or maybe leave a small gap so that they have the option to see but can also be hidden away.

goodluck!

I have 3 x-large (in height) playpens in a garage with a pair and two single males (that have fallen out). I got my dad to put some hooks in the wall so I have two attached to the wall to make them a bit bigger and the other one kind of attaches to the other two to make that bigger. They have got used to living side by side and seem ok with that they dont bite each other through the bars or anything or get annoyed. I will take a picture tonight and show you how it is set up as its hard to explain. I also have an outside hutch and run and they take it in turns to go outside morning and afternoon but they all stay in the garage during the night. When one is out in the run i also open up two of the playpens together so they get more room.

Thanks both for your ideas and advice, it goves me some hope that my 3 can live in the same room.

Pictures would be very helpful, would be great to see exactly how you've done things.

Im hoping Poppy (my problem bun), will get used to the smells and sharing her territory, at the moment she keeps weeing in her cage and pooing on the floor when I let her out which is annoying and I hate smell and mess. It may never change I realise but one can live in hope. Ha ha.

:wave: My dog kennel is split in half as I ended up being in the same situation as you. The trio did not work so ended up with my pair living next to the single bunny. They lived next to each other fine while we had all 3 (we lost Homey in May) and the girls still live next to each other fine now. We have the finer welded mesh otherwise Katy could do some damage to Cassie through it :roll:

Here is a video of how it was when we had the hutch in there. We have taken the hutch out now to give more room but the same type of set up really:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ek-Monster-video&highlight=fenugreek+monsters

Thanks Bunny Babe, you set-up looks really good, and again gives me hope. Im wondering if I can get my Dad to fashion me a divide similar to yours for the room (the alternative is single bun living in his garden so he may be inclined to help some what).

You have gorgeous bunnies, I love the video.

Thanks Bunny Babe, you set-up looks really good, and again gives me hope. Im wondering if I can get my Dad to fashion me a divide similar to yours for the room (the alternative is single bun living in his garden so he may be inclined to help some what).

You have gorgeous bunnies, I love the video.

Thank you :love:

We just used wood and made a frame and stapled the mesh onto the frame. You can normally buy the welded mesh at Wilkinsons or a DIY store (Screwfix, B&Q, Wickes, Homebase etc) or ebay sell it. I'll see if I can find any updated photos for you. Although it is a shed you could use similar in a room.

ETA - here you go, we basically have this layout now but the door to open is split in haf so we can open one at a time or both. I guess in a room you would only need 1 part to open. Just make sure you can step over it ;) P.S. Katy is on a diet now since we lost Homey (we had to leave pellets available as he did not eat hay)

phone-sanjan2012201.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, it looks great, I am thinking I could fashion something similar (or my Dad could), he once made a Guinea-pig run so should at least give me some tips, just would need to figure out how to fix at ends to make secure.

I have exactly the same issue now, Poppy can only eat soggy pellets so I have a rather tubby Peter, I always need to over-feed to ensure she gets a fair share to keep her full....bunnies eh, ha ha.

You could just use some small "L" bracket to attach it to the walls.

As you can see from the photo, The single rabbit had a smaller area but mainly due to the fact that we had to open the door inwards but have accommodated that by building a small insert for the toilet which gives her a bit more room.

Yeah, bunnies they do keep us busy :love:

You could just use some small "L" bracket to attach it to the walls.

As you can see from the photo, The single rabbit had a smaller area but mainly due to the fact that we had to open the door inwards but have accommodated that by building a small insert for the toilet which gives her a bit more room.

Yeah, bunnies they do keep us busy :love:

Oooh, that's a good idea to use brackets, thank you.

The room is a small double so they should each still have enough room I hope. My pair are so lazy anyway and don't do much, I feel awful that they are cooped up in dog crates at the moment. I let Pixie into the lounge with me for a couple of hours last night while I let the pair out in the bunny room, when I came back to put them away they were both asleep back in their dog crate :roll:, at least it stopped me from feeling guilty locking them back in :lol:

I took some pics (sorry not good quality on my phone) last night of my set up in the garage. You can see that the two pens are attached to the wall at the back to make them larger and the front one uses the other two as one wall to make it bigger (if that makes sense. Also I can open the two pens against the wall so that when one is in the garden the others get two pens)

8046502820_7f188170da_z.jpg

8046502964_17c06e071b_z.jpg

8046496703_c27e4b4f6a_z.jpg

there is a board there but i decided to take it our last night and they were fine with it not being there.

8046503198_dff116686c_z.jpg

8046496909_696f15be6e_z.jpg

here you can see how my dad has put wood on the walls and those little hooks that you screw into the wood. I then just hook the playpen onto it

8046496993_2881f9256d_z.jpg

8046497067_337992f3e0_z.jpg

The playpens are also nice for the garden!

7969628196_443a5f075d_z.jpg

7969628918_927aae8ca2_z.jpg

Back