• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A Heartbreaking and difficult week

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
:cry::cry:

Several weeks ago we had a niggle about Bunny Bundy. He was bright and eating but there was just something in his eyes or the way he sat occasionally. But he had just lost Bic from the trio and then moved into his new accommodation so put it down to that, but kept a close eye on him. After two weeks in his new home we still had the niggle so 10 days ago took him for a check up. They found spurs but nothing terrible so he was booked in for a dental the following Monday. I wasn't completely convinced it was a dental problem but was glad we had at least found something to treat. Saturday he looked awful, hunched up, cold, not eating, so was rushed straight to the vet. Again all they could find was the spurs but they weren't making his mouth sore, so he had all the usual meds and was sent home. I tried to syringe fed him but he refused to swallow. I thought this is it, he wont survive the night. But Sunday morning there he was bright as a button!
Monday he went for the dental. I was still convinced something was seriously wrong and he wouldn't pull through the GA but he came through with flying colours and was eating and bouncing around fine on Tuesday. I was so pleased, decided I had just become completely paranoid and it was just a dental issue all along.
Wednesday, he was spending a lot of time flopped out. I kept watching him and the worries came back but also thought he had been through a lot so maybe he was just getting some much needed rest in now he was more comfortable in his mouth.
Thursday morning something just wasn't right but again nothing I could put my finger on but i booked another vet appointment for first thing friday morning to ask for bloods etc. As Thursday progressed he slowly started to deteriorate until Thursday evening he was really unwell again :(
He was admitted Friday morning for x-rays and bloods and it came back that he was in liver failure, probably from tumours :cry::cry: We let him go while he was still under GA from the x-rays.

We are devastated as he was a wonderful, wonderful bunny. He had been with us nearly 4 years and was never any bother. He was a gentle, quiet boy who was just always there. We are not sure how old he was possibly only around 6 years, he was part of the gloucestershire 61 if anyone remembers that far back.

To make things worse poor Biro has now lost her brother, moved home and lost her best friend in the space of just over a month :cry::cry:

Then yesterday morning I discovered Hedgehog collapsed and bloated in his hutch. We waited for the vets to open and rushed him there as quick as we could. I thought that was it, he was so poorly :cry: He was full of gas but no blockage, so slowly through yesterday he started to improve and last night was taking syringe feed pretty well. Hedgehog is badly brain damaged and only had a dental 12 days ago so has also been through it recently. I think the problem was caused by Kale as the supermarket had no greens in so we got kale instead. I have always found brain damaged bunnies to be much more sensitive to change than other bunnies :?

Also through the week I have been pulling my hair out over Trevor as she continues to self harm. It was getting so bad I was worried that I might wake up one morning to find she had nibbled through to her insides! I tried every bandage, cover, vasaline, a huge amount of nice hays, herbs, toys anything to distract her but the behaviour had become obsessive :cry: Covering it was so difficult because of her delicate balance and the way she moves. Either it was too heavy so she fell and couldn't get up or so loose it came straight off as she pulled herself around :( But finally friday i invented a cover out of a thin piece of fleece and we may have cracked it :D

But with everything with Trevor once you find a plus you develop another minus. Now she is not chewing she is filling her time with being extremely hormonal which meant I had to temporarily stop the bonding of the group of 5 as Shula wasn't taking kindly to having her fur pulled out in lumps by a honking trevor :roll:

Add to that, the washing machine broke on Monday and we were down to our last piece of vet bed. The heating is broken and the estimate is £3000 to fix it so now we have a new machine we can;t get anything dry now the weather has turned. Plus we are still trying to build two aviaries with playhouses in through all of this!!!!!

Binky free little man, we just can't believe you have gone :cry::cry:

P1030463.jpg

P1030466.jpg

So sorry. I've always had a huge soft spot for the beautiful Bundy, probably partly to do with the Gloucester 61 being the first big rescue I watched unfold as I was new to the forum at that time.

He always seemed so cheeky and full of character, that picture of him on the tube pinching hay is just :love:

So sorry. I've always had a huge soft spot for the beautiful Bundy, probably partly to do with the Gloucester 61 being the first big rescue I watched unfold as I was new to the forum at that time.

He always seemed so cheeky and full of character, that picture of him on the tube pinching hay is just :love:

It was only taken last week, I can't believe he was so ill but never told us :cry::cry:

Lots more of him here too, only taken earlier this month http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...iro-move-into-their-new-home.&highlight=bundy

I am so sorry - difficulties always seem to rush at us -and once you are knocked down they are so hard to get back up from:cry:

I'm so sorry you've had such a horendous week. If there's anything I can do to help let me know :wave:

Oh gosh, I really dont know how you cope :(

Im so sorry youre having such a difficult time, and especially that you've lost Bundy :cry:

(((HUGS)))

My first bun was pts after they found a tumour on his liver, but from finding out and him being pts was a long time I was a teenager back then and had no idea whether they could have tried to remove it or not, but after I found out the vet just wanted me to have him pts there and then and I was like no way lol (I had only taken him in for a general check up) he was so happy for a long time, he ate and drank played all day in the garden whilst I was home (I was on study leave/summer hols at the time) and eventually became actually symptomatic from it which is when we had him pts it was so sad :(
It just amazed me like your bun how 'well' he seemed.

hugte huge hugs...what an awefully stressful time...binky free Bundy! xxxx:cry:
Poor little Biro..
hope the fleece works too....how aweful to self harm...poor little darling..maybe this will really help xxx

sending you big hugs Liz. Sorry to hear about your terrible week, i just don't know how you cope, you are tyruly amazing people! xx

Oh no I'm so sorry :cry:
Is there anything we can do to help, raise funds? Anything you need? (if i had large quantities of money I would give it to you...damn lottery! )

Back