• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Losing one half of a whole

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Shortly my Dopeys will be in separate worlds and that thought is one of the more devastating prospects associated with losing a bunny; the one left behind. Dopey one is going to be without her actual other half.

Very distressing idea. Thank goodness shd will have Lightning. I hope that can help her.

Dopey 2 has been in heart failure for a while, and she also can only breathe through one nostril, so the efforts to battle her heart failure have only been moderately successful. My vet told me to watch out for if her tummy starts to look disproportionately big because it might be the heart can't pump the blood the right way and its going back into the stomach.

Despite so much food she is a rake now and I can't tell if her tummy is big, or just bigger in proportion to the rest of her because there's nothing left and she's just lost weight so all that shows is her tummy (if that makes sense). But she's very bright and lively and stuffing her face and seems to be very much enjoying life. She's also a good colour. But the day is not far away; she can't have much left to give, to be honest.

For her, it's not different from any other long term ill/termially ill bunny, and I'm pleased she is happy and will be let go when she is ready. I'm absolutely devastated for Dopey 1 because I know how it feels to lose that other half of you. I just hope she'll be ok. I'm now remmebering why I put them in a trio originally and I hope my plan does work and it does mean she can have happiness once Dopey 2 has gone.

I have that awful prospect too. Two Rabbits who have been together for over 10 years :cry:

*squishes tight* It's horrible. when I think of it, I think of 'the Lady Lydia and Sir Victor effect'. Knowing you have others who are facing a similar thing is just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry.

Sorry you're having to go through this.... :cry:

It's impossble to generalise but I was in potentially a similar situation with losing Twilight earlier in the week. He and Mulberry were the closest of all my "couples" yet when he started to weaken she simply transferred her affections to Merlin, started ignoring poor Twilight, and has been happily snuggled up to Merlin ever since. :shock:

Sometimes rabbits "know", and I guess, like humans, they deal with loss, and the prospect of loss, in very diverse ways. It's impossible to predict how things will pan out in your situation, but just wanted to post to say that it may be a lot easier than you think. Mulberry is still showing no signs of being bereft at all.

The fact that they're together may mean that the deterioration is being sensed, and transferral of affection will be easier, as it has been with Mulberry. Or it may not - just wanted to share what I've witnessed this week, as it's really surprised me....

Really sorry though - it's a heart-breaking situation to be in.... :cry:

It's heartbreaking :cry:. I've been there recently with Flora and her brother, Parsnip. As brother and sister, they had never spent a day apart - ever. Then Parsnip died aged nine and a half. Flora definitely mourned him and after 4 weeks, it was clear she needed bunny company. I was concerned that she wouldn't accept another bunny after being so devoted to her brother but she's now in a pretty close relationship with Benji. So as hard as it is to witness their mourning, they can get over it. I really hope your bunnies are OK - thinking of you.

Sorry you're having to go through this.... :cry:

It's impossble to generalise but I was in potentially a similar situation with losing Twilight earlier in the week. He and Mulberry were the closest of all my "couples" yet when he started to weaken she simply transferred her affections to Merlin, started ignoring poor Twilight, and has been happily snuggled up to Merlin ever since. :shock:

Sometimes rabbits "know", and I guess, like humans, they deal with loss, and the prospect of loss, in very diverse ways. It's impossible to predict how things will pan out in your situation, but just wanted to post to say that it may be a lot easier than you think. Mulberry is still showing no signs of being bereft at all.

The fact that they're together may mean that the deterioration is being sensed, and transferral of affection will be easier, as it has been with Mulberry. Or it may not - just wanted to share what I've witnessed this week, as it's really surprised me....

Really sorry though - it's a heart-breaking situation to be in.... :cry:

I'm sorry for what you're going through with your crew, but I'm glad that Mulberry is coping ok.

In my trio I can see that Lightning is now starting to struggle, but Dopey 1 is a nursebunny and she just is inseparable from Dopey 2. So whilst Lightning is distancing himself, and quite stressed, Dopey 1 is the same as always.

It's heartbreaking :cry:. I've been there recently with Flora and her brother, Parsnip. As brother and sister, they had never spent a day apart - ever. Then Parsnip died aged nine and a half. Flora definitely mourned him and after 4 weeks, it was clear she needed bunny company. I was concerned that she wouldn't accept another bunny after being so devoted to her brother but she's now in a pretty close relationship with Benji. So as hard as it is to witness their mourning, they can get over it. I really hope your bunnies are OK - thinking of you.

I'm so sorry for Flora and Parsnip. This is exactly what I'm talking about though. These are sisters, they act the same and behaviour wise can't be told apart, they look the same, they are always together. Your situation, and how Flora coped, does give me hope. They are already in a trio in anticipation of this day, so hopefully she will be able to get comfort from Lighters. It's not like a 'normal' bonded pair of bunnies who love each other; their soul is one, they are one and the same, so speak of one is to speak of the other ('The Dopeys'). To stroke one is to stroke the other. To move one somewhere, the other comes looking.

To lose one, is to lose them both.

Oh I'm so sorry :( at least she will have the support of Lightning when the time does unfortunatly come.

so very sad and sending vibes for all the buns with dealing with their situations xxx huge hugs xxx

Back