• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Adopting buns from p@h? Your thoughts pls?

Bailey's

Mama Doe
Not posted for a while. The last few months have been difficult, we lost both our buns this summer, Alfie first after loosing the battle with statis, then violet after a long battle with an abcess. It has been the worst thing to go though as im sure you all understand. We decided as a family that we needed a break from rabbits for a while until we came to terms with loosing poor Alfie and vi. That was until yesterday when a spanner was thrown into the works!
We ended up in p@h as my mum needed some cat litter, I don't normally go near the place as my opinion on them is the same as most others on here. There in the adoption section was two beautiful buns, we all fell in love with them! They have the most wonderfull personalities, so friendly, one of them was desperately trying to get some attention by standing at the front of the cage on his hind legs.
I can't get this duo out of my head. They have had such a bad start already I would hate to think where they would end up if we don't take them. They have been there a while as they want them to go together and are plain black in colour.
They are 1yr old and where brought in by a lady that didn't have the time for them. Not neutered or vacs but come with a voucher to cover the cost of neutering.

Has anyone had experience of p@h adoption? What would you do? Opinions welcome pls?

If you are able to provide for all their needs, including any unforseen Veterinary Bills then I would adopt them. I avoid going into P@H now as I hate their practices. But if I did go in and was in your situation I would not be able to turn my back on the two Buns in the Adoption Centre.

I am so sorry for you recent loss of Alfie and Violet :cry: Offering a loving and secure forever home to two Rabbits in need would be a fitting tribute to the memory of A + V

Good Luck :)

ETA Agree with Jane...

Sounds as if it's meant to be.. black buns are notoriously hard to re-home. They could end up anywhere, as you say....

Sounds like they're keen to be adopted too! :love:

Thanks guys, you are confirming my gut instinct!

We have learnt the hard way about vets fees after the last 4 months. We have already decided that which ever buns we get next they will be insured too. I know I don't post much on here, I'm more of a stalker than a poster I'm afraid. We have quite a few yrs experience of keeping rabbits so they will certainly have the right care/diet/housing/love they deserve.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you are confining my gut instinct!

We have learnt the hard way about vets fees after the last 4 months. We have already decided that which ever buns we get next they will be insured too. I know I don't post much on here, I'm more of a stalker than a poster I'm afraid. We have quite a few yrs experience of keeping rabbits so they will certainly have the right care/diet/housing/love they deserve.

I think that both you an the Black Bunnies will benefit from the chance encounter. You clearly have a lot of love to offer and the two Buns obviously need that and also the knowledgeable care you are able to provide.

It was meant to be :love:

Sounds like these bunnies are going to be very lucky indeed. I would definitely say adopting them is the right thing to do - as long as you post pictures when you get them!;)

Yay! Will def post pics! Right off the get ready then p@h here we come!!
Soooo excited!!!
Here's a little something to make you smile.....
When typing the first post this morning I was lay in bed in a 5 star hotel where we are staying to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary! Hubby turned to me and said 'just get them'!
Lol! He's just as potty about rabbits as me! Hes not yet seen them either, it was me mum and the girls there yesterday!
There's dedication for you! He he!

It sounds like you are ready to let more bunnies into your heart and these bunnies are more than willing to enter your heart :love::love:

So happy for you :D:D:D

i got my trio from p@h adoption.I went in their for litter like you and saw them.they had to be rehomed together and they were very scared. didnt like being touched and were underweight. i felt guilty for not adopting from a rescue but sometimes my heart rules my head! i dont go in their anymore as i cant face seing the animals knowing that they probaly wont go to homes that know there needs. if i had to rehome again i would go to rescue but i dont regret saving these three as they are now the most friendly happy things ever!

good luck!:wave:

Lucy - thats exactly how I feel as I was planning to go back to Tameside rabbit rescue but I can't bear to think what will become of them if not. Let's hope they are still there when we get there. Will let you know how we get on.

I get my bunny food from Pets at Home and I always look at the adoption centre - it makes me feel so sad :( I saw a beautiful pair in there the other day. They barely had any room to move :(

George's wife, Gemma, was from PAH adoption. I thought George (BARC bun) was lonely, despite being a housebun, and there weren't any suitable single female buns locally. Went into PAH for something and in the adoption part there was a female George - but with lop ears. The markings are incredibly similar. She was an unwanted pet who couldn't be caged. She was to be an indoor bun so I wasn't bothered about that.

I have since found out how destructive she is and have a feeling that is why she was rehomed. She has made George a fantastic wife and I have never regretted getting her. She definitely wasn't 'old stock' as she was an adult bun and I saw the paperwork completed by the person who gave her up. I still consider her a rescue bun. I gave PAH £10 I think.

When I am ready financially to find Hovis a wife I would consider a PAH adoption bun if there was no bun suitable locally or a bun run couldn't be arranged. I would prefer PAH to stop having brand new buns and only stock buns for adoption, but they would need to start asking lots of questions and home check. I wasn't asked anything and it was clear the member of staff who sold Gemma to me knew nothing about rabbits.

They're now officially ours!!!!

They have a vets instore so are being booked in for neutering hopefully tomorrow, we live 50 miles away so due to work commitments can't get to pick them up until later this week. Lucky it is one of the better p@h stores and the girl looking after them does seem pretty clued up on rabbits. They are vaccinated but we need to find out when their boosters are due. They seem to have been quite well looked after. Going home now to spruce up the hutch/run and then off shopping for new toys/litter tray etc.

Will post pics ASAP! Xx

They have a vets instore so are being booked in for neutering hopefully tomorrow, we live 50 miles away so due to work commitments can't get to pick them up until later this week. Lucky it is one of the better p@h stores and the girl looking after them does seem pretty clued up on rabbits. They are vaccinated but we need to find out when their boosters are due. They seem to have been quite well looked after. Going home now to spruce up the hutch/run and then off shopping for new toys/litter tray etc.

Will post pics ASAP! Xx

Fantastic. I am sooooo pleased for you - and for them for going to such a wonderful home.

Will post pics ASAP! Xx

So happy for those buns. What a great weekend story. Was obviously meant to be.

Back