• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice

Fred and Lils mum

Warren Scout
This is the first winter i have had my bunnies and i am really worried about how to keep them warm. I have already got a keep warm in winter, keep cool in summer hutch hugger along with the water proof one. I also have a heat pad for them. It worries me when im sat in the warm and they're outside. Any suggestions please?

Last edited:
They will be fine,make sure they have straw for bedding as it is warmer than hay.I usually put straw down with lots of hay on top.
None of my bunnies will go near a heatpad:roll:
A couple of years ago it got down to -15c here.I was worried about bunnies but they were fine:D

Your bunnies should be fine outside in the winter. Their coats will be very thick and as you have more than one they can sit together for added warmth. Make sure the bedding is kept dry with lots of hay and the cover is down at night and when it is raining, or snowing! When it gets freezing cold keep an eye on the water bottle as it will freeze some mornings so best to have 2 bottles so you can take the unfrozen one out all ready to replace the frozen one. Try putting the hutch in a sheltered part of the garden or in a shed if you have one. They shouldn't need any more food than they normally have as I have known rabbits to put weight on over the winter and then it's difficult to lose it next year.

I used to let mine freerange in my yard and leave the hutch open. They hardly ever went in the hutch, they'd just sit out in the snow. I don't really like the idea of those snuggle things as its extreme changes in temp that they dont like so sitting on a warm pad then going out in to the cold to get a drink/ exercise is going to mean you're creating a situation in which there are more extreme temperature changes.

Thanks for that advice re heat pads i had not thought of that.

:roll::roll::roll::roll:
I used to let mine freerange in my yard and leave the hutch open. They hardly ever went in the hutch, they'd just sit out in the snow. I don't really like the idea of those snuggle things as its extreme changes in temp that they dont like so sitting on a warm pad then going out in to the cold to get a drink/ exercise is going to mean you're creating a situation in which there are more extreme temperature changes.

You'd be suprised how much heat they generate, sometimes i'd love to climb inside the hutch with them :shock::lol:

There's lots of things you can do to help but LOADS of straw is the most important and obviously hay. I use a fleece blanket under a tarpulin (make sure there are air gaps), the sliver bubble wrap stuff, heatpads etc. I even used a new horse rug which was great but others on here have other brilliant ideas. The main concern is the water freezing.

I worry every Winter too - it's hard not to for me! But as long as there is lots of bedding and the water bottles don't freeze they should be OK. I also cover the hutch/runs and use snuggle safes :)

Last winter was my first winter having bunnies and I was the same, plus, I can see into the window of their shed from the stairs, and every time I looked out, Rupert was sat there looking frozen... but they were fine, in fact, they didn't even use their straw and hay filled bed box much :roll: They're alot hardier than we give them credit for :D as long as they've been able to get good layer of fat on them and their winter fur they'll be fine :D I only put the heat pad in if the temps are extreme, or if they've got really wet from the rain... so that they can get hardier....

I'm saying all this, but I still worry lol I check on them constantly when it's cold :lol: I'm told it gets easier.... :thumb:

I find my bunnies prefer the cold anyways I am often finding elvis in his run when he has a nice cosy bed and covered hutch lol

Back