• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Great news! Chaplin is ours :D

yamazumi

Warren Scout
Me, my girlfriend, and three of my house mates got Chaplin a year ago, it was something I agreed to do with them so I could make sure she'd be getting looked after as best as possible, but obviously I fell in love with her and really didn't want to give her up next August when we finish uni. I've pretty much spent the last year fighting on and off for a friend for her.

A few weeks ago we got Seeley, he belonged to someone who had kids that had gotten bored of him, and they were just going to having him put down because they couldn't find anyone to take him, so we took him on as a "foster". He's an absolutely lovely rabbit and we really wanted to keep him, so we tried him with Chaplin. We just wanted to see how well or how badly they'd got on, before we confronted our house mates over the issue.

Turned out they got on brilliantly, absolutely nothing went wrong, at first they were very indifferent, but they ate together straight off and were soon relaxed around one another.

One of our house mates came back today after being home for the summer and told my girlfriend that Chaplin was ours, she didn't want to fight for her in 11 months time and that her care was now entirely up to us. She said she thought we should keep Seeley, they should be bonded (dissertations this year, so we're not going to have all the time in the world) and that they should be moved into the guinea pig room together.

The situation now stands at this. Chaplin has a 4'x 2 1/2' crate with a shelf and this is in a 10'x9' room which also has two 2x3 c&c cages and some furniture. They'll have full access to the rest of the room, with the g pigs being blocked off, 24/7. We're going to try and move some furniture out to the landing so they have more room, it works out at about 5.5ft x 10ft of space plus the crate which I believe equates to about 65ft square.

The problem is we aren't sure if they'll be able to have access to the house any more, Chaplin has been free range since we got her, except at night, so she's had access to the hall, landing, and kitchen most of the day. With Seeley we're thinking one of our house mates is going to turn round and say if we keep him, they aren't allowed to run around the house in the day (but we'll still let them out once she's in bed, and any time she's not here), but we'll stand our ground and say that they need to be able to go into the kitchen when they're in the garden and they'll be allowed in our room when we're in.

Basically, Chaplin is going to have much less space than she's used to, except now she's going to have more space at night, but we know that her having a friend is far more important that her having full access to the house, and they will still have more than the minimum recommended space.

All in all, good news I think! I didn't even believe my girlfriend when she told me... I've been expecting WW3.

That sounds like wonderful news. I bet that Chaplin will like the trade off a friend and more space at night when rabbits are usually most active.

Back