• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lots of myxy about

Very worrying especially as so many are vaccinated and are still getting it.

Indeed. :cry: Will be interesting to see if things improve with the new vaccine, which is meant to be more effective. Not only should less buns catch it but there will then be fewer spreading it, if that makes sense. :?

I'd be looking to vaccinate slightly ahead of schedule if it takes 3 weeks to become fully effective....

I'm really paranoid about it :shock: our buns are both vaccinated but seen loads of mozzies about, me and OH are squashing them at every opportunity.

I've been giving mine squirts with an insect repellent when I clean out. not sure if helps but its cheap and does no harm. figure insect repellent works for us against midges so why not for them.
my little lop had combo vaccine weeks ago- my two boys are going for combo tomorrow as their single jab as kits must be wearing off now.

Im not sure but Im thinking it maybe the transition between vaccines.
I mean, the bunnies on RU with Myxi currently..which vaccine did they use..how long was it between vaccines did they vaccinate, its quite worrying.

mine are all vaccinated now, although honey only had hers1 orr 2 weeks ago so i know there is still that risk. there are loads of mosquitos about in the garden though:(

I overlapped my three with the new one by a few weeks as well. Didn't want to take any chances. I haven't seen or heard any mozzies but in this cold weather we've not had many windows open.

Ive seen LOADS of mozzies in the lanes I drive in..been hitting them with my car..blasted disease riddled things.:evil:

My 3 have had it but seem to be better lumps and bumps gone
they were still on the old vaccine.
But this ran out a few weeks ago but vet is reluctant to give them
the new one until they are 100%.
Hopefully this week,she is very rabbit savvy and has taken batch number of last vaccine
to report back .
But there are still load of mossies about ,i am hoping we get a cold snap
soon to kill them off.
But with all the rain and warm tempratures still around might be a while

On another note a lady whose daughter swims with my son ,said her rabbit was pts
because of myxi and not vaccinated.
She knows we have rabbits and asked do you vaccinate i said yes,
she said i would not pay the money for that,yet they have a lovely big house
and good jobs.Some people do not have clue,poor bunny.

I can't believe people won't 'pay the money' to get their bun vaccinated and save their life - it sounds as if they can afford to do it no problem!

Our vet (in Gloucester) said last week that he had seen a marked increase in the amount of cases of myxi and also a new strain where lumps / nodules were coming up around the rabbit's claws - he said he had never seen this before and I know he is a very busy rabbit savvy vet with buns being taken to him from quite a radius - we travel up to him from South Wales. It is such a worry isn't it?

I think too it may be worth overlapping the vaccines by 3 or 4 weeks to be on the safe side especially as ours too are still on the old vaccine regime.

you guys think u have it bad i live in the middle of the coutryside surrounded by wild buns argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
my two are vaccinated but the worry is always there im hopign the shed protects them
as well as cleaning out often :)

you guys think u have it bad i live in the middle of the coutryside surrounded by wild buns argh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(
my two are vaccinated but the worry is always there im hopign the shed protects them
as well as cleaning out often :)

I'm high risk - had it here 4 separate times (5 buns)

I'm high risk - had it here 4 separate times (5 buns)

we have had it in 3 different years - one each year . .

we live in Cambridge - caught between the fens and the breckland heaths - famous myxi territory . . our only saving is that we are in suburbs - but the river Cam is about 500m from us as the mozzie flies . . .

All on new combi vaccine here so praying it does its stuff.

We lost a vaccinated bun (old vaccine 3 months ago) on Saturday :cry:,
Was at the vets with my boy today and a couple asked if he had myxi, I said no just a bad eye,
She had 3 buns with her, all vaccinated with myxi and had lost one on the friday aswell, she was clearly devastated.

Back