• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Think Leo will be PTS tomorrow :-(

alisont

Mama Doe
I think I'm going to have to take Leo to the emergency surgery tomorrow to have him PTS.
He's been poorly for a while now with cancer, his tumours grown, he saw the senior vet on Friday - he said it would be time soon but Leo was still fighting so he said to have him at home for the weekend see how he goes.
With his moult he's been losing fur on his bottom but no new furs coming through so he's at risk of urine scalds, fly strike - its a massive risk - the vets said his care is excellent but even with extra caution fly strike could get him.
Today he's become incontinent and tonight he's not eating as much so that to me is the final signs - he's ready to go and I want to help him by taking him to the vets tomorrow - it was planned for Monday after work with the senior vet who knows him well but I'll get my Dad to take us tomorrow as I can't have him suffering or run the risk of fly strike and i have to be at work Monday 8-4.30 and don't want to leave my Mum with that responsibility.
I'm hoping I can stay with him whilst he's PTS, but he likes the vet who's on tomorrow and we are both ready - hardest thing - ill be in bits tomorrow I know but he's had a wonderful, long life:D
I'm not planning on having anymore rabbits but have got loads of great memories of leo:D

You are being exceptionally selfless and affording Leo a dignified passing.

I will light a candle for him tomorrow

((((((((Hugs)))))))))

Thank you, I'd rather wait to see the senior vet Monday night as he's seen Leo a lot and is the most experienced vet I've ever met, however I don't think Leo will mind who he sees and it's so hard to know if rabbits are in any pain and he's a stubborn fighter so think it may have to be tomorrow as don't think I can risk waiting til Monday especially as im at work and would be out from 7.45 - 4.30. I'd hate for my Mum to have to take him or to watch him Monday.
Maybe I should of had him PTS Friday when we saw the vet but he was pretty chirpy then and it's today I've noticed a change.
Big question is should I stay or leave him, hope I can stay but I know I'll be a big emotional wreck in there having never had any of my animals PTS before in over 30 years and over 100 animals. Hopefully I'll find the strength tomorrow to stay.
Will really be the end of an era losing Leo - my longest living animal friend!

Will be thinking of you :(

I have done both patchy my first bunny i waited in the waiting room while my mum took her in when my mum came out with the empty carrier i just collapsed on the floor when i had harley pts i held him as i wouldn't let him go both i would say were as bad as each other you need to do what is best for you and leo

I remember when I had to make this descision. Believe me, Leo won't really be aware of who he sees. You should be allowed to stay with him. xxx

I agree that you are being incredibly selfless. I also will be thinking of you and Leo xxx

I have stayed with all but one of my cats and and all but one of my rabbits. For me I felt I needed to be there. the cat and rabbit that I wasnt with were already at the vets and I felt it was unfair for them to have to wait for me to get there when they needed to go now. I feel guilty even now at not being with them. I have done it with my husband, been with my daughter, she was 12 and stayed and Ive done it totally on my own.

I am in bits from making the decision to getting home with the empty box. The vets are used to me luckily. We had a really bad year last year, 2 cats and 2 rabbits in 4 months, it was torture.

If you decide not to stay then take comfort from the fact that the vets and nurses will make everything as easy and gentle as it can be.

Its an awful decision to make but its what we do when we are responsible pet owners, not that it makes it any easier to do.

Big hugs to you

Big hugs. It's always hard but you have to make the right decision for him and it's the last act of care you can do. I always stay with my animals when they are PTS, it's hard but I couldn't bear to leave them.

I just wanted to say I think you're incredibly brave and selfless. Big hugs for tomorrow xx

Its awful to have to make that decision but I am sure your doing the right thing for Leo, I also will be thinking of you tomorrow xx

Leo was PTS at 11am today, very sad but it was time.
He was very peaceful this morning and sleepy, he couldn't stand up so it was time.
Had to go to the emergency vets and it was a vet he knows, she was really sorry but agreed it was time.
Will really miss Leo he's been here for so long, just cleaned his hutch out and disinfected it, doesn't look right empty.
I'll post in the rainbow bridge area at some stage.

The kindest,selfless thing anyone can do for a companion pet.Really sorry.Binky free Leo.xx

Back