• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis help needed

Rabbit86

New Kit
Hello,
This is my first post, and a sad one unfortunately.

I have two rabbits one French lop (female) one lion head (male).

I have had them for about three years now from the RSPCA.

I have just come back off a weeks hols and went to feed, clean out and brush the rabs (they've been looked after by a family member coming over everyday). They have a massive run with hutch on top, I let them free in the garden while I cleaned the hutch, it wasn't until I picked up Peter for the first time to brush him that I saw anything his eyes were oozing. (You can see it unless your up close as he's so fluffy) so I can see how my family member missed it.
Went straight to the vets, they've confirmed it's myxi, but they are stumped as to how he's got it as they have their jabs every 12 months. They had their last jabs end of jan.
they've injected him with pain killers, and sent him home with anti inflamitories, eye cream and the recovery food you mix with water and syringe.
They've said they don't know about chance of survival as he's had his jabs so they're hoping that helps his chances.
I've bought him home, gently cleaned his eyes now the painkillers should have started working. I tried to syringe his anti inflam and food but his mouth looks so sore, and he's now started breathing out of his mouth I couldn't really get much of it in, and I didn't want to upset him.
I've had to quickly nip to our local pet shop before it closed to get my other rabbit a hutch for the night (feel super guilty about that, the only one they had in is tiny so hoping to find a bigger one for her tomorrow).
He's going back to the vets tomorrow to either have more pain killers or put him down :(
Has this ever happened to anyone before? Their rabbit getting myxi even tho they have had their jabs?
Is there anything else I can do for him other than what the vet has done?
I'm so upset. He fell asleep in my arms after I had cleaned his eyes. I can tell he's in so much pain, so if he's worse tomorrow I think I'll go down the put down route as I don't think it's fair on him.
I put him in his sleep area in his hutch, but within 5 mins he'd made his way downstairs to the run and he's just laying under the ramp.
Sorry for the super long post..... Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

No direct experience of myxi (thankfully) but didn't want to 'read and run'. Just want to say that I really hope your bunny picks up and starts to make improvements - however small. Sending (((vibes))).

I'm sorry your rabbit caught myxi, there is loads of it about this year. Unfortuneately, the single vaccine (which would have been what your rabbit had in January) is only really effective for 6 months. Most vets recommend a 6 month booster. The new combined mtxi/VHD vaccine which was launched in March/April lasts for 12 months.
No vaccine provides 100% immunity but it improves the chance of survival if your rabbit gets that illness.
Did your vet provide any antibiotics to help stop any secondary infections whilst your bunny fights it?
There are several people on here that have rabbits with myxi so have a read through for tips and support. Good luck with him. I hope he makes it, he might so stay positive.
I would also suggest you find a more rabbit savvy vet. Your vet should know that they should have a 6 month booster, particularly when myxi is so rife this year. If you start another thread you might be able to get a recommendation.
Paws crossed!

Thanks for the quick replies!
They told me 6-12 months when I had them vaccinated, wish I'd has them redone at the 6 months.
The other rabbit (touch wood) seems fine, she had the new myxi/vhd jab today.
No they didn't give any anti biotics for secondary infection, I will ask when I go back tomorrow.
I've only ever seen wild rabbits with myxi.
I used to live in the sticks with land as a child so whenever we came across them (daily) my dad would shoot them. But they normally always were crying in pain. He's been pretty much silent. He only made a very quiet noise when I first started cleaning his eyes.
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad sign. Sign of giving up, or sign it hasn't got that painful yet?

Thanks for the quick replies!
They told me 6-12 months when I had them vaccinated, wish I'd has them redone at the 6 months.
The other rabbit (touch wood) seems fine, she had the new myxi/vhd jab today.
No they didn't give any anti biotics for secondary infection, I will ask when I go back tomorrow.
I've only ever seen wild rabbits with myxi.
I used to live in the sticks with land as a child so whenever we came across them (daily) my dad would shoot them. But they normally always were crying in pain. He's been pretty much silent. He only made a very quiet noise when I first started cleaning his eyes.
I'm not sure if this is a good or bad sign. Sign of giving up, or sign it hasn't got that painful yet?

Is there any way you can get in contact with the Vet to obtain antibiotics tonight. Time is of an essence here and the fact he has been mouth breathing is, sadly, a very grave prognostic sign.

I really think it is essential that antibiotics are started tonight. Poor Bunny :cry:

I am so very sorry, I can't believe how much mxyi there is around this year :cry: I really hope he pulls through :love:

really sorry.
only thing i can sugguest is can you bring him indoors to a quiet warm spot? extra warmth can make a real difference with sick animals. doesn't have to be in a hutch- a simple carry box would suffice overnight.

Thanks again for the replies, just looked at the meds I've bought home and it is baytril, so he has been sent home with an antibiotic. But I can't get him to take it, I have tried popping it as near to the open bit of his mouth to get it in, but I've found it impossible, normally if I've had to give him anything like that, wormer for example, I just pop it in the side of his mouth and he takes it like a good boy, but its obviously too sore to let me do that at the moment. Does anyone know if this can be injected? Will ask the vet tomorrow, if needs be I'd drive him over every day to be injected to make sure he gets a full dose.
I did think of bringing him inside, but we've just moved house and found out we have damp so the heating is on full at the mo and its like a sauna so I thought with his fluffy coat it could stress him? Also he wouldn't be used to it and I didn't want to panic him? Not sure what the best thing to do is.
I've put extra hay in his sleeping area with lots of fluffy towels, knowing him he'll be missing his friend.

sauna is good if chest full.. Used steamy rooms with birds with respiratory problems to good effect.
it just depends if you can find a quiet darkish place in house where kids/other pets etc are not going to keep looking at him. It is your call though- I don't know your set up so you can only do what seems right to you- always is hard to know whether warmth is better then stress or worse :(
whatever you do I know you are doing your best for him and I hope he pulls through.

ps injections- actually are very easy to give- if need be ask them to give you 5 minute crash course- better to do them at home then transport him if you can face doing it.

pps try adding a touch of ribena to the baytril makes it a little less nasty an experiance.

If the heat will be good for him, I'll bring him in in the morning (grown woman scared of he dark!)
Are rabbits easy to inject? Not sure if I could trust myself, worth a go I suppose tho.
May ask if the vets will trim his affected areas as he's so fluffy I'm paranoid he's going to get matted, his bum already looks like it has knots, tried to have a go myself earlier and it obviously hurt him so didn't carry on. Or would trimming make it worse?

You may find my thread on our 2 helpful. Hopefully being vaccinated will make your life easier than mine :D good luck with him. Ours are being treated indoors but then they do live indoors at night anyway.

If he is in pain what dose of Metacam is he on? Ours are 3.5 - 4kg rabbits and are on the 12kg dog dose which is about half what they could take if need be. It may be worth looking at the dosage and upping it if needed (though obviously talk to the vet first). Ours don't have any pain issues with this dosage and it makes feeding and medicating a lot easier if they are pain free.

Good luck with your rabbit, this is such a horrible disease.

Dave

I'm not sure, the vet just gave him the injection, I didn't think of asking quantities, I will ask tomorrow.
So can you also inject that at home too?
So I could get the pain killers and anti biotics and inject them myself as opposed to driving to the vets everyday.
Does anyone have any idea on costs for the meds?
Thanks will have a read of your thread now

I'm using Metacam 1.5mg/no oral (dog American) it's 3 times stronger than the cat version but the same drug and quite a bit cheaper too. The Baytril antibiotic is oral too (2.5 mg/ml).

TBH I'm not too sure on prices as I just pay the bill and don't have it itemized but I would guess at a vets 100ml Baytril £50 and 32ml Metacam £25 based on a previous bill. Internet prices are a lot less if you get a prescription but then won't be in your hands instantly.

Dave

It's important to get the baytril into him. You could try mixing something like ribena with it to make it taste sweet. Baytril tastes really horrible which is why bunnies resist it so much.

Hi there. So sorry to hear about your bunny. I too have two rescue bunnies, both fully vacinated, that have come down with myxi in the past two weeks. I frst noticed Einstein's eye wasn't right, then Maize started with respiratory problems. Einstein then got strange unfathomable scabs over his ears and neck and after yet another vet visit, Maize was the same. Vet has diagnosed the less fatal version of myxi (nodular/cutaneous???? Myxi) from which rabbits can recover. They are both on Baytril, 2.5% strength. Einstein is back to normal after a week or so with little signs of anything now apart from a few scabs. Maize has scabs on her ears, weeping eyes and a scab on her nose which is what is causing her respiratory issues. Vet says her lungs are fine just her nasal passages are probably inflamed. So she is also on Metacam. I'm no expert, but from what I've read/ heard it's down to their own immune systems to fight the myxi and you've given your bun the best chance by vaccinating. You just need to try and prevent secondary infection which is what your antibiotics are for and try and keep the buns as pain free as poss.
Einstein will take any meds you give him, Maize won't even let you near her mouth! So with her I'm putting the meds on her favorite, kale, and just holding it while she eats it to make sure it doesn't drip off. It's working well. If your bun is still eating or you can entice him with his favorite treat, try putting the meds in that, say a piece of banana or I've even heard on here a small bit of hobnob.
Sending massive vibes for your sick bun and I hope he pulls through.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. Little update on pete.
I've bought him in this morning, he is now breathing back through his nose which I was pleased about as I could get him to take his anti biotics (with ribena, thanks for the tip) still going to ask about getting the injectable version tho as I think it will be less stressfull for him as he really reacts when you go near his mouth. Cleaned his eyes no problem, and trimmed the fur round it so it gets less messy, also had a good clean of his bum, poor thing has a nasty looking scab on it.
He had a bit of his recovery food, only about 2ml and he wouldn't eat anymore.
The vet did say they normally only get the less severe case of it with the vaccine but said he had the full blown version.
Back at the vets soon so see what they say.

Just a bit of an update on Peter, it'll be two weeks tomorrow since he first went to the vets.
He's still not eating or drinking on his own, so I'm syringe feeding and watering every three hours. I've got him a vicks humidifier to help him with his breathing, this has helped him lots.
It's been really tough, but were in a little routine now, it's like having a newborn baby.
One minute he seems really perky, the next not. But then I suppose a healthy bunny is not always on the go.
It's difficult with his food as he's never been a big eater, my other rabbit loves her food and has favourite foods, he's always just really eaten hay, so nothing has temped him to eat himself :(
I'm hoping the fact he's still alive over two weeks since hell has caught it is a positive.
I've just had a quick loom through the forums and sorry to read about Daedalus buns :(

Back