• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Given That the New Combi Vaccine Contains LIVE MYXOMA Virus-ATTN ANY MEDICS PLEASE

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
If a Rabbit is vaccinated with the new combi vaccine and is then bitten by a mozzie/flea and said flea goes on to bite an UNVACCINATED Rabbit could the UNVACCINATED Rabbit contract Myxomatosis ?

Last edited:
I would say yes but that's only my thought. I would think if that flea is contaminated then whatever rabbit it bites will get it. Same as being stung by a wasp, if someone is stung, it will hurt and then if it goes on to sting again it will still hurt the next person!! Unlike a bee which then dies!

As the amount in the vaccine isnt enough to give the vaccinated bun myxi i doubt it would be enough to pass onto another bun via flea (who would only have taken the tiniest amount anyway and only passed a tiny proprtion of that onto another bun).

As the amount in the vaccine isnt enough to give the vaccinated bun myxi i doubt it would be enough to pass onto another bun via flea (who would only have taken the tiniest amount anyway and only passed a tiny proprtion of that onto another bun).

this :wave: infact if anything it would give the other bun a tinytiny immunity to myxi

Thank you

I will psyche myself up to read the link later...............

You're welcome. It's very factual and there is alot of good info in there about how it's made, how it works and what has and hasn't been tested. We all know that they did laboratory tests, they have to by law to get the product to market, and it is definitely worth a read to get factual information about the vaccine.

For one, it explains why they say 3 weeks post vaccination to immunity. This is purely because that's when they did the challenge study so that's what they have data to support. It's the same with any claim on a medicine, they claim what they have the data to support.

I think you will find it useful.

I hope to goodness this vaccine proves to be very successful so the Lab Rabbits did not die in vain :cry:

Yes, I knew Animal Testing was involved, but seeing it in 'black and white' still makes me shudder :cry:

It's an improvement on what we had and more rabbits will be saved than were killed to get the new vaccine to market.

I hope to goodness this vaccine proves to be very successful so the Lab Rabbits did not die in vain :cry:

Yes, I knew Animal Testing was involved, but seeing it in 'black and white' still makes me shudder :cry:

Indeed, I have just read a bit of the report where the rabbits were given the injection and then killed five days later.

My rabbits are no more worthy of a life than those lab rabbits.

Hi Jane,
To answer your original question, No this could not happen, and as to why is explained on page 4 of the document RedFraggle linked.
I realise the science is quite complicated so I'll try and make it easy, though feel free to ask questions, and I'm sorry if I've 'dumbed it down' too much.
The new virus is a GMO (genetically modifed organism) that is the myxoma virus which has been altered to carry the important bit of the RHD virus. The myxoma virus has had the genes removed that allow it to replicate in the rabbit. In effect, the scientists have taken the myxoma virus, removed the bits that allow it to multiply, and stuck in a bit of the RHD virus that then allows the rabbits immune system to see both the myxoma and the RHD viruses, make antibodies, and develop immunity. The dosage given at the top of the page is the dose that will allow the rabbit to develop immunity but not get sick.
If a bug bit a recently innoculated rabbit, then bit a non-innoculated rabbit, it could pass on some of the myxoma-RHD virus, but as this virus has no way of replicating, it would indeed act like a mini-vaccine. Though would not be enough for the rabbit to develop full immunity.

Hi Jane,
To answer your original question, No this could not happen, and as to why is explained on page 4 of the document RedFraggle linked.
I realise the science is quite complicated so I'll try and make it easy, though feel free to ask questions, and I'm sorry if I've 'dumbed it down' too much.
The new virus is a GMO (genetically modifed organism) that is the myxoma virus which has been altered to carry the important bit of the RHD virus. The myxoma virus has had the genes removed that allow it to replicate in the rabbit. In effect, the scientists have taken the myxoma virus, removed the bits that allow it to multiply, and stuck in a bit of the RHD virus that then allows the rabbits immune system to see both the myxoma and the RHD viruses, make antibodies, and develop immunity. The dosage given at the top of the page is the dose that will allow the rabbit to develop immunity but not get sick.
If a bug bit a recently innoculated rabbit, then bit a non-innoculated rabbit, it could pass on some of the myxoma-RHD virus, but as this virus has no way of replicating, it would indeed act like a mini-vaccine. Though would not be enough for the rabbit to develop full immunity.

Thank you so much, I understand that perfectly :D

Back