• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Josie Has Myxi UD p99 :)

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
She was booked in for her vaccination today. She had the single vaccine 6 months ago. I found a nodule on her nose this morning. I can't believe it. A week after losing Peter :cry: Not Josie. Not my Josie :cry:

Last edited:
I'm so sorry! But she'll still have some of the vaccine in her. Sending loads of vibes!

Sorry to hear this. :(

I lost a vaccinated bun to myxy yesterday but that was the non-nodular form. The two buns that have the nodular version, which is hopefully what Josie has, both seem to be on the mend. You need to guard against secondary respiratory infections - she may need septrin and/or baytril. Metacam is also good for the first couple of days as she may have a high temperature (depends how she is in herself - always safest to check with your vet). She will have more resistance than a non-vaccinated bun so may well be fine. Merlin has a couple of lumps but nothing else and Josie may be similar. Mulberry has a number of lumps and is wheezy, but responding to treatment, and still eating/lively within herself.

Keep us updated...

Thanks guys. Definitely myxi, found another nodule on her genitals and a small one on her lip. Lungs sound fine. She's on baytril and metacam right now, another check up booked for Monday.

So if her lungs remain fine she may be OK? I just can't believe it's appeared on the day she was booked for the vaccine. All my other buns have had the new combi. All the rescue buns except the two pairs have had the combi. Josie is in the house now.

Is there anything else I can do for her at this stage? In all my years of owning buns I've never had myxi.

Thanks guys. Definitely myxi, found another nodule on her genitals and a small one on her lip. Lungs sound fine. She's on baytril and metacam right now, another check up booked for Monday.

So if her lungs remain fine she may be OK? I just can't believe it's appeared on the day she was booked for the vaccine. All my other buns have had the new combi. All the rescue buns except the two pairs have had the combi. Josie is in the house now.

Is there anything else I can do for her at this stage? In all my years of owning buns I've never had myxi.

Sounds like she's doing well and crossed fingers has got it quite mildly.... She may need eye ointment if her eyes are affected but hopefully not. Keep tempting her with noms. Warmth is good, although there will be implications about putting her outside - will probably have to wait until Spring. :? Scamper and Merlin had it so mildly their behaviour wasn't affected and she may well be the same. As long as her lungs stay clear and she keeps eating she has a really good chance. A lot depends on what happens in the next few days, ie whether it's already peaked or whether there are lots of new nodules to come.

Sending millions of vibes...

Oh I hope she's OK.

When I spoke to my vets about myxi a couple of weeks ago he said lots of rabbits were being pts but these were all unvaccinated ones. The ones who have been vaccinated stand a much better chance. Hope she has it only mildly and makes a quick recovery.

So sorry to hear that. She has a better chance than an unnvaccinated bun so fingers crossed for you. *hugs*

So sorry Helen, how worrying for you :(

Sending lots of vibes that she gets through & over it very quickly with no lasting effects xx

I'm so sorry to hear this Helen, especially so soon after losing Peter it must be so worrying. :( Lots of vibes from me for Josie. x

So sorry, it must be very scary.

I hope it turns out just to be very superficial and that she recovers well and quickly.

Hello Helen

I hope that Josie is doing ok and will soon be over the virus.

I'm new to this forum, and recently joined after looking through it when both my vaccinated bunnies started showing signs of myxi. They are the second pair of vaccinated rabbits I have had who have caught this flipping evil virus, and the first pair survived although one of them did get very poorly with respiratory problems, as has one of the buns I have now. I'm going to stay positive and believe my buns will make a complete recovery, and I'm sure Josie will also - sending her a bunny hug and positive vibes.

Squibs

Thanks guys. Josie seems OK now, she's eating normally. Maybe a bit annoyed at being inside after she'd got used to being an outdoor bun, but she used to love being a housebunny, so hopefully she'll get used to it again.

She's never been that close to Barley, so I've left her outside. I've been considering splitting them for a while. Josie has a habit of randomly nipping Barley, which she didn't appreciate. Barley's had the new vaccine, so I'm not so worried about her catching myxi, I just thought the indoor pen would be too small for them both, especially if Josie gets grumpy with the myxi. No idea if I've done the right thing! :(

After all Josie went through when she first arrived as a foster bun after being found as a stray... She spent about a week at the vets with diarrhoea, very poorly, it just doesn't seem fair. But she beat the odds then and recovered, so hopefully she will again.

Back