• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dylan's bathroom habits

I have had Dylan almost a year...he is probably an angora mix and I'm not sure how old he is but I think he might have been about 6 months old when we got him...he was going to be left in the pet shop on his own in the dark over Christmas and I couldn't let that happen.

He is a lovely bunny...doesn't like to be caught but once you've git him he'll sit with you for ages before getting bored and deciding sitting on your head is more fun. He has a ball he'll only play with when he thinks no-ones watching...give him a toilet roll tube and he'll play with it for hours.

He has always been a very clean bun too...always in the same corner never in his bed. I recently got him a new hutch and run because his old one wad starting to come apart and the new one has a door on the bottom level so that he can come and go as he pleases and has the run of the garden...he only really goes in when it starts to get dark as I'm worried about urban foxes.

What I've noticed is that he won't poop in his new hutch...anywhere...he waits by the front door in the morning to be let out and then he disappears behind one of my planters and does his business there...is this normal bunny behaviour?

Sounds like he isn't comfortable in his new hutch. Is it brand new or second hand? I would try to neutralise the smells in it with a spray of 50:50 vinegar/water. You could also try moving the poos he does behind the planter into the hutch.

By the way foxes come out during the day too. I've been sitting in the garden and had a fox walk by just yards away.

I am afraid once you disrupt a rabbit's toilet habits it can take a while for some rabbits to return to "normal". Have you tried putting a litter tray in his hutch with hay in it and gather some toilet from the garden and put that in there and maybe confine him for a couple of days and watch to see if he starts going in that. That was a long sentence! That might just get him back into going in his hutch. Good luck!

Back