• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Some advice please :) I think I am worrying myself

Kit.pike

Young Bun
I was just wondering, my rabbit was spayed (who is 4.5yrs old) on Tuesday and she wasn't eating properly until Thursday (now she is pretty much earing everything) so was advised to keep her indoors until Monday when I see the vet again.
Honey is an outdoor rabbit and has been on metacam, antibiotics and another pain killer can't remember the name which I give her 3x a day.
Once the vet advises she is okay I will be putting her back outside, will this be okay as she has been indoors for almost a week?

Thanks

I was just wondering, my rabbit was spayed (who is 4.5yrs old) on Tuesday and she wasn't eating properly until Thursday (now she is pretty much earing everything) so was advised to keep her indoors until Monday when I see the vet again.
Honey is an outdoor rabbit and has been on metacam, antibiotics and another pain killer can't remember the name which I give her 3x a day.
Once the vet advises she is okay I will be putting her back outside, will this be okay as she has been indoors for almost a week?

Thanks

I would not feel OK about putting her out until next Spring now, especially if she has been in a room with central heating during her recovery.

Okay I will try but I have 4 dogs and an 8 month old. Plus I don't have an indoor cage. Would she be okay in the garage?

Thanks

I have put buns out this time of year, you need to drop the temp artificially, like keep her in a room with the heating off for a couple of days, and then with the window open so there is a gradual reduction in temperature. I really wish vets wouldn't advise indoors for an outdoor rabbit without explaining the consequences. You can pick up a room temp thermometer quite cheaply (sometimes even in the pound shop) and just keep an eye that your not dropping the room temp too quick. Naturally you get temp variances of around 5-10 degrees C dropping it 5 degrees or so every couple of days should be fine. She can regrow her winter coat quite quickly.

Maybe a cold bathroom/ kitchen for a couple of weeks is better than having her indoors all winter. It depends on your housing as well really. I haven't even turned my heating on yet I'm still warm enough with a jumper. If you've got it wacked up to 25 it'll be higher risk. It's sudden and extreme changes in temp they don't like.

Thank you for the advice, I have also been putting her outside in the day for as long as I can, will do her some good as well?

I have put buns out this time of year, you need to drop the temp artificially, like keep her in a room with the heating off for a couple of days, and then with the window open so there is a gradual reduction in temperature. I really wish vets wouldn't advise indoors for an outdoor rabbit without explaining the consequences. You can pick up a room temp thermometer quite cheaply (sometimes even in the pound shop) and just keep an eye that your not dropping the room temp too quick. Naturally you get temp variances of around 5-10 degrees C dropping it 5 degrees or so every couple of days should be fine. She can regrow her winter coat quite quickly.

Maybe a cold bathroom/ kitchen for a couple of weeks is better than having her indoors all winter. It depends on your housing as well really. I haven't even turned my heating on yet I'm still warm enough with a jumper. If you've got it wacked up to 25 it'll be higher risk. It's sudden and extreme changes in temp they don't like.

But your Rabbits are now having problems with unexplained weightloss. The environmental change *might* play a part in why this is an issue.

Thank you for the advice, I have also been putting her outside in the day for as long as I can, will do her some good as well?

Overnight temperatures are falling to single figures now in some areas. Ground frosts are occurring

Your Rabbit has just had a hysterectomy, major abdominal surgery. She had post op complications (needing abx etc) and she is a slightly more mature Doe. Given those facts I would not risk putting her outdoors overnight til the warmer weather returns next year.

Just my personal opinion, I dont like to take unnecessary risks :)

Last edited:
Back