• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

could do with a little advice pls, thanks everyone

cuteboyz

Warren Scout
Hi everyone :wave:
I'm just wondering, did I read somewhere on here that small poo's are a sign of an underlying problem?
I don't know if I'm being over anxious and paranoid or if he is becoming unwell.
Both the boys are eating and drinking as normal, both are behaving exactly as normal so outwardly there is nothing different at all, but Mallow is producing very tiny poo's, maybe about a quater of the size of a normal poo :shock:
They are both having exactly the same diet and both of them were ok yesterday, this happened overnight and has continued throughout today, I have kept a very close eye on them all day today and I can't pinpoint anything wrong at all so can't work out why this happening and I'm sure I read somewhere that its a sign that something may be wrong, or did I just make that up :oops:
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks in advance for any advice :)

Small poos can be a sign that their digestion system isn't running smoothly. If he stops pooing altogether then it's really important to get him to a vet asap, it's really dangerous for rabbits when their guts slow down or stop. As long as he is still producing a normal amount though, I'd up his hay and fibre intake if you can and monitor him very closely, they can go downhill quickly.

Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon :thumb:

Oh now I'm 'really' worried, what would cause his digestion to suddenly stop working properly?
P.S.
thank you for your reply

lots of things, change in diet, stress, poison, bacteria, pain

Are there any other symptoms? It could just be he's eaten too many pellets/ greens and not enough hay. He may not like the hay for some reason. If they haven't got bigger tomorrow or if they go dark/black instead of golden then I would book him in for a health check. As sierra*323 says, if he stops pooing or poo's very little, appears to be hunching up, is quiet or stops eating then you need to get to a vet asap.

ok thank you both, neither of the boys are big hay eaters, I have had a running battle with them regarding hay, and have written a few posts about it on here :) Thankfully they both now do eat a little hay, not as much as I would like them to eat but even so its major progress. They do and always have eaten lots of fresh food, most of which I grow in the garden but I also forage for hawthorn etc. They never get any fruit or veg or any fresh stuff bought from a shop. They are on SS pellets now, after taking advice from RU members, but only have an eggcup full in the morning and the same again in the evening, this of course is between them both so it works out at half an eggcup each twice a day totally the recommended eggcup a day :D
He is eating and drinking well, comes running when he sees me, just incase I have food for him, I tend to hand feed their fresh food, a sort of bonding thing :D He is active, not hunched, doesn't appear to be in any pain but I will continue to monitor him closely and if anything changes I will get him straight to the vet. Thanks for the advice :thumb:

maybe if he isnt eating much hay, give them some grass for fibre as well :) this is what i did for one of my buns when he wasnt eating his hay when he lost his partner, and he ate a bit more of the grass then hay. and then he got a new friend and found a new love of hay :)

but grass always goes down a treat for all of my 6 :)

oh but dont feed too much if they havent had much grass before, as it might upset their tummy's :)

Sorry I didn't mean to worry you! How is he today? :)

Thank you for asking :)
yesterday he was eating and drinking fine but his poo's were still tiny and he was very subdued. He is a 'naughty' little man, always into mischief :lol: but yesterday he was very quiet and not himself so something was obvioulsy wrong. I didnt like to post about him again because right now there are so many very unwell bunnies here, and bunnies losing their lives in such dreadful circumstances, its just heartbreaking :cry: and those people didnt need to hear me overstressing about it :oops:
I decided to give him a dose of metacam, and monitor him, the metacam worked and today his poo is back to normal and he is back to his very naughty self :D

glad to hear he's doing better! you should never worry about posting as we are all here to help!

I stress out regularly:oops: but its only because we love them so much!

glad to hear he's doing better! you should never worry about posting as we are all here to help!

I stress out regularly:oops: but its only because we love them so much!

Exactly this :thumb: I ask loads of questions, and just hope that I can answer some too! Glad he's feeling better :)

:wave: what hay have you tried him with? I notice an instant difference with.... errr... output :oops: ... when I've given them a hay they clearly relish

Back