• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hello, can anybody help?

WOW

New Kit
Hello, I have one bunny. I would like some ways to enrich it's lifestyle, most of the time it is in a hutch. It doesn't have a run but does go in the garden when i'm home. It is well looked after and enjoys cuddles I just have no toys for it. Any ideas?:oops::oops:

I quite like the idea of attaching a run to the hutch, but i'm not very handy so how would I do this? Also, where are cheap runs?

Hello. :wave:

Willow balls are good toys, also you can give apple/pear twigs with leaves (some people on here sell them). Good home-made toys include cardboard tubes stuffed with hay and maybe a treat or two.

You'll find lots of suggestions about run arrangements (sometimes with photos to illustrate) in the housing section of the Forum.

Hello, I have one bunny. I would like some ways to enrich it's lifestyle, most of the time it is in a hutch. It doesn't have a run but does go in the garden when i'm home. It is well looked after and enjoys cuddles I just have no toys for it. Any ideas?:oops::oops:

I quite like the idea of attaching a run to the hutch, but i'm not very handy so how would I do this? Also, where are cheap runs?

A rabbit needs access to a run all day - keeping him in a hutch for the majority of the time is not a good idea. If you post a picture of your hutch perhaps we could come up with some ideas of how to attach a run.

Agree with Susie Bun. Tunnels are also good or even a cardboard box made in to a tunnel or to hide in :) You could add a hay box and hide forage/treats in it for bunny to find. Mine love cardboard rolls (toilet tube inners) stuffed with hay, especially if there is a treat hidden inside.

Mine also love jumping on things, I've bought those little step stools from Ikea before though they arent very high so I get the kid's step stool type things from Amazon, they love jumping on it or hiding under it.

Attaching a run is a good idea. We got ours from Ebay, quite a large one and attached it to the hutch (well, shed now) by screwing it together with L shaped brackets from B&Q. Its quite heavy but you do need to make sure that a fox couldnt get in, either by digging under it (ours is on hardstanding) or by being able to pull it.

Would you consider adopting a neutered friend for your bunny? A rescue could help bond them together for you and bunnies LOVE (well, need really) company of their own kind to play with and snuggle up to. :wave:

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

Right;
Cardboard
Grass
Hay

The run, I will get one. Rabbit is often in hutch all day with family working. Just wanted to know some ways to make rabbit happy:)

check sizings before you buy, ideally an outside rabbit should be in a 6X2 hutch with an 8 foot run.

A plant pot in a run thats on concrete can be fun for them to dig in or to grow them some grass.

Hiya all, it's 'pinkbun' here (Sammy),
This was my mother, she'd made an account so that she could see why I was obsessed with the forum:roll::roll:

Anyway, thanks for answering to this post!! I'm thinking of getting her either a hutch with a run or buying her a run and somehow attaching it, although i'm not very DIY ;)

Thanks again.
:lol::lol:

Is your rabbit a house rabbit? Doughnut is and when she was little she had just a hutch. I then attached a playpen on to it, it's 3ft by 3ft. I got if from ebay. I then saw an arch in one side of the hutch and cut abit from the play pen and then attached them to each other. It wasn't difficult. Now she has more space.

She loves the willow tunnels, won't eat the sticks but loves eating the tunnel for some reason. She also has a grass mat and a plastic step in her play pen to jump up. She has various other toys but has not interest in them. She loves apple sticks to gnaw on.

When she's in her outside enclosure I put her large tunnel in it, which she loves going through.

Is your rabbit a house rabbit? Doughnut is and when she was little she had just a hutch. I then attached a playpen on to it, it's 3ft by 3ft. I got if from ebay. I then saw an arch in one side of the hutch and cut abit from the play pen and then attached them to each other. It wasn't difficult. Now she has more space.

She loves the willow tunnels, won't eat the sticks but loves eating the tunnel for some reason. She also has a grass mat and a plastic step in her play pen to jump up. She has various other toys but has not interest in them. She loves apple sticks to gnaw on.

When she's in her outside enclosure I put her large tunnel in it, which she loves going through.

Hiya, yes she is an outdoor bun. Her hutch is spacious and she has lots of room in it anyway!! I know she needs a run attaching, I was looking at this one;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-FT-RABB...et_Supplies_Small_Animals&hash=item337acf4a3c
What do you think?

Oh yes that looks nice and spacious, similar to Doughnuts.

Will she be outside when you aren't home though as you will need to look at making it safe from foxes. I only put Doughnut outside when I'm around as I've had cats chase her round her enclosure and shooed them off and then seen a very big fox chase her. Now she is always in my sight as foxes are very determined and they can dig underneath to get inside the enclosure.

Sorry don't want to scare you but just want to make sure your little bun is safe as people on this forum have had bad experiences with foxes getting their buns.

Oh yes that looks nice and spacious, similar to Doughnuts.

Will she be outside when you aren't home though as you will need to look at making it safe from foxes. I only put Doughnut outside when I'm around as I've had cats chase her round her enclosure and shooed them off and then seen a very big fox chase her. Now she is always in my sight as foxes are very determined and they can dig underneath to get inside the enclosure.

Sorry don't want to scare you but just want to make sure your little bun is safe as people on this forum have had bad experiences with foxes getting their buns.

No, she's always in her hutch when i'm out, i've never left her unattended. I don't know if I should bring her in or not, she's not eating grass, just snuggling.. -.-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-RABBI...ll_Animals&hash=item3f1ba3aa00#ht_4797wt_1271 This is Ideal but so expensive!!!

Do you mean bring her in permanently?

If you bring her in I wouldn't get such a big enclosure for outside if she has the run of downstairs, but would get an add on play pen for while you're away during the day for her to jump around in.

Doughnuts one outside is about 5ft square and I move it around on the grass. She runs around downstairs so gets her exercise in and out of the house.

I love having her indoors as whenever I'm home she's out and she's so friendly jumping on my lap and putting her paws on my chest, well when she wants pellets anyway!!

Do you mean bring her in permanently?

If you bring her in I wouldn't get such a big enclosure for outside if she has the run of downstairs, but would get an add on play pen for while you're away during the day for her to jump around in.

Doughnuts one outside is about 5ft square and I move it around on the grass. She runs around downstairs so gets her exercise in and out of the house.

I love having her indoors as whenever I'm home she's out and she's so friendly jumping on my lap and putting her paws on my chest, well when she wants pellets anyway!!

Oops, sorry no I meant in as in, in her hutch. She's not allowed in the house which is completely unfair I think :(
xx

In that case I would get her as big as an enclosure as I could afford if that is going to be her exercise place. Like you say if you can attach it and make sure it's as fox proof as possible it will be lovely for her.

My enclosure inside is exactly the same as the one you are getting, that's her playpen for when I'm in work.

Her outside one is just all metal with the top metal too and a couple of side pieces which you could push up for a hidey hole if you want to purchase one but she may not need that if she can run back to the safety of her hutch.

I know people on her have used the runaround system for their outdoor buns. Different pieces which interlock, tunnels etc. Have a look on the internet. I think it may be quite expensive though but maybe someone in the know will come along and let you know. It's suppose to be easy to set up

nither of those ones you have linked to are big enough for a permenant run for an outdoor rabbit. You are going to need to spend about £150 unless your lucky and get a good sized one second hand.

A smaller, run like the square ones would be fine temp until she can save for a bigger one Its better than the current situation

I like this one :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-FT-RABB...ll_Animals&hash=item337acf4a3c#ht_1648wt_1037

The hutch and run you linked is totally pointless imo because the hutch loses space being a 2 story and like many pictures it is decieving, it looks an okay size but I have seen that hutch/run setup irl and it's titch. If you wanted a hutch and run like that then it would have to be 6ft at least because of the floor space that gets lost, like this;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-Rabbi...als&hash=item519f5a0dea&_uhb=1#ht_1658wt_1037

Mine aren't allowed in the house either :wave: :lol: our indoor rabbits are at my bf's and that's only because they aren't amazingly healthy! :p the outdoor buns came inside when they were neutered/spayed, but they hated it :lol: I think with the hutch she has, and the run that I copied the link from you, or similar, as well as the time she gets in the garden I think would be fab :thumb: even putting £5+ a week away, you'll have £50+ in no time :D

I have this one and it's 6 x 4 and good quality :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6ft-FULLY...als&hash=item3cc8404605&_uhb=1#ht_2043wt_1037

and I have 2 of these which I think are fab :D they are 7 x 3 and cost £49.99, so I think that would be the best to save up for imo :D :p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RABBIT-GU...var&hash=item3cc133d09e&_uhb=1#ht_4457wt_1037

Last edited:
Back