PDA

View Full Version : drinking a lot

MichG
27-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Recently I have noticed patch and lily's water bowl getting empty. They never used to drink much really, but about a week ago I noticed the bowl was dry morning and evening. I checked they weren't tipping it over or sitting in it, so I then gave them 2 bowls as of yesterday,when I came down this morning they were both empty, same again this evening. I watched and patch is drinking a lot, it is not lily. I measured and between the 2 they are getting through 1 litre a day. Will take to the vets but what might this be? He is fine in himself and eating normal. They get small number of pellets in the .morning and fresh beg in the evening and hay all day.

xlaurax
27-09-2012, 10:38 PM
I can't give advice but couldnt read and run.

Hope the vets goes ok

Someone useful should come along soon to provide you with helpful advice x

Elena
27-09-2012, 11:02 PM
It could be various things. Drinking water excessively can be a sign of dental pain or something going on in the kidneys. You haven't been giving them more dried food than usual have you? Sometimes they drink more because their food is drier than usual. ie. more hay instead of grass or more pellets (those things can hold a LOT of water!)

Jack's-Jane
28-09-2012, 06:26 AM
There are several possible causes which might include Renal problems (especially if there has been some unexplained weight loss. Possibly EC related), bladder problems (sludge), Dental problems, or even a latent Pasteurella infection becoming more 'active' ( just an observational thing I have noticed, no hard evidence that this is the case). Obtaining more info from an examination by the Vet may offer a better idea of what is going on

Good Luck

MichG
28-09-2012, 07:49 AM
There are several possible causes which might include Renal problems (especially if there has been some unexplained weight loss. Possibly EC related), bladder problems (sludge), Dental problems, or even a latent Pasteurella infection becoming more 'active' ( just an observational thing I have noticed, no hard evidence that this is the case). Obtaining more info from an examination by the Vet may offer a better idea of what is going on

Good Luck

He is showing no other signs or syptoms such as weightloss, and he is urinating and deficating normally, he is bright, and his "normal" cheeky/naughty self and he is eating his usual amount, I do't give much dried food in the morning and the quantity hasn't changed.
I am booking him in for an appointment tomorrow (I am working until 7 today with a non rabbit savvy vet) so he can have some bloods and his teeth etc checked.