• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

drinking a lot

MichG

Mama Doe
Recently I have noticed patch and lily's water bowl getting empty. They never used to drink much really, but about a week ago I noticed the bowl was dry morning and evening. I checked they weren't tipping it over or sitting in it, so I then gave them 2 bowls as of yesterday,when I came down this morning they were both empty, same again this evening. I watched and patch is drinking a lot, it is not lily. I measured and between the 2 they are getting through 1 litre a day. Will take to the vets but what might this be? He is fine in himself and eating normal. They get small number of pellets in the .morning and fresh beg in the evening and hay all day.

I can't give advice but couldnt read and run.

Hope the vets goes ok

Someone useful should come along soon to provide you with helpful advice x

It could be various things. Drinking water excessively can be a sign of dental pain or something going on in the kidneys. You haven't been giving them more dried food than usual have you? Sometimes they drink more because their food is drier than usual. ie. more hay instead of grass or more pellets (those things can hold a LOT of water!)

There are several possible causes which might include Renal problems (especially if there has been some unexplained weight loss. Possibly EC related), bladder problems (sludge), Dental problems, or even a latent Pasteurella infection becoming more 'active' ( just an observational thing I have noticed, no hard evidence that this is the case). Obtaining more info from an examination by the Vet may offer a better idea of what is going on

Good Luck

There are several possible causes which might include Renal problems (especially if there has been some unexplained weight loss. Possibly EC related), bladder problems (sludge), Dental problems, or even a latent Pasteurella infection becoming more 'active' ( just an observational thing I have noticed, no hard evidence that this is the case). Obtaining more info from an examination by the Vet may offer a better idea of what is going on

Good Luck

He is showing no other signs or syptoms such as weightloss, and he is urinating and deficating normally, he is bright, and his "normal" cheeky/naughty self and he is eating his usual amount, I do't give much dried food in the morning and the quantity hasn't changed.
I am booking him in for an appointment tomorrow (I am working until 7 today with a non rabbit savvy vet) so he can have some bloods and his teeth etc checked.

Back