• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slugs on rabbit food

Stator

Warren Veteran
What do rabbits do when they encounter a small slug on their food? Do they spit it out again or do they end up eating it? :?
Or should I not think about it, yuk :?

when i had outdoor buns, a few times we found a slug in hutch or on rabbit bowl, don;t think it bothered them :oops::shock:

We have had a few lately, the buns seem to ignore them. I hope so, I worry about lungworm but I don't know if rabbits can get it. I suspect they can, dogs and hedgehogs can so I don't think they are specific to a species.

Our outdoor rabbits will not eat food if slugs have slimed over it. We have copper tape around the runs and place food bowls high on hutches to make it more difficult for slugs to reach.

Poor Mr McFlurry is much plagued by slugs and snails. They leave slime trails on his food, but he doesn't touch it after they have been in the bowl.

Hopefully the colder temperatures will see off the problem for this season soon.

Your buns have food round long enough for slugs to get to it?:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Oddly enough I have never had a problem with slugs getting into the buns hay or forage, but I think having chickens is possibly why I never have a problem:lol:

Back