• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stu's New House update p4

Mrsmcarey

Mama Doe
Picked up new bunny house for Stu

It is new but had to inbox it to get it in the car this is a Nissan Note and it didn't fit :D

Just got to build it now:evil:

Should look like this when I'm done :p

Recon it's big enough for two, ssshhh don't tell OH that's my plan :lol:

Last edited:
Well done on the construction.:thumb: Can he get into the run bit from the hutch? What is the sticking out bit at the side?

Well done on the construction.:thumb: Can he get into the run bit from the hutch? What is the sticking out bit at the side?

Yeh it's got a ramp up which he worked out for himself he went for a nose, without being coaxed so that's good, the bit on the back is a bedroom and the door part another large room with a small sliding door to the ramp, when he is in for night time i can close the door and the silver handle is a pull so I can open the slider and let him out in the morning, without disturbing him too much, and when I get home I can put him in the big run for a few hours.

I've just passed my PCV so I am driving a Bus and its shift work so some early mornings and some late nights but OH can put him to bed.

Yeh it's got a ramp up which he worked out for himself he went for a nose, without being coaxed so that's good, the bit on the back is a bedroom and the door part another large room with a small sliding door to the ramp, when he is in for night time i can close the door and the silver handle is a pull so I can open the slider and let him out in the morning, without disturbing him too much, and when I get home I can put him in the big run for a few hours.

I've just passed my PCV so I am driving a Bus and its shift work so some early mornings and some late nights but OH can put him to bed.

I can actually see the ramp now, good he's mastered it so quickly - some bunnies (and their mummies :oops:) take ages to have confidence with the ramp.

Do you close him in the 'hutch' bit at night? If so that's really too small for a rabbit to be in. I agree with Georgeypudding, coops are too small for rabbits unless there is a large run attached to the coop run :)

I'm afraid it's not a case of pleasing us lot, it's more to do with meeting the needs of an animal who is totally reliant on you to meet its every need.

I too started off with that exact hutch (don't mention that much as I'm not proud of it)....when people mentioned it was going to be too small for a fully grown bunny (she was a baby when she lived in it) I took their advice, sold it and bought a wendyhouse and run. It's the best thing I ever did, for so many reasons and I'm so glad I took their advice.

Other members are only trying to help....

The whole thing only looks to be around 5ft long which really is far too small.

Could you attach a large run to it and make the whole coop the hutch?

Oh we'll cant please everyone all the time.

:censored:

Sorry I bothered

I do sympathise with you. It is really easy to buy something that seems great but other people with different standards, and starting with a different base of knowledge, will not agree. What you have is, truth be told, better than a lot of rabbits have, and it does have some good features.

When Spenser lived outside he had a hutch that didn't meet RWA or many rescue's standards, but I didn't let it put me off The Forum.

I started out with a 3ft cage and almost no free range time, but I took advice and corrected it :wave: with some corrections and a large run it'll be perfect! :thumb:

I have a large run and when I'm not leaving the house at 6am Stu is usually out.

I don't like putting him out that early unless he is out in the outside part of the hutch.

Cant drag him out of cozy bed to chuck him outside, so just opening a door and giving him the choice must be better.

This is 10ft x 4ft

Until I can find a way to join new hutch run to my home made run.

Sorry if I had a little rant but comments need to be constructive not a telling off for thinking I'm doing something good but a little misguided :?

I hope you didn't think I was telling you off :( I've never told anyone off :(

I had Poppy on shavings and in a 3ft hutch for 5 months before I knew better. And we took Leo from people who kept him in a 4ft hutch for 5 years with hardly any exercise so he had muscle wastage :( but we improved everything for him and it was all advice from here.

Have you seen the runaround tunnels? That might be easy then you could move the run around the garden still :)

And he even has a castle in his run, lucky bunny! :thumb:

The castle sits under a Perspex sheet so doesn't get wet its basically cardboard, when it's dull he sits in the bottom when the sun is out he goes upstairs :love:

I hope you didn't think I was telling you off :( I've never told anyone off :(

I had Poppy on shavings and in a 3ft hutch for 5 months before I knew better. And we took Leo from people who kept him in a 4ft hutch for 5 years with hardly any exercise so he had muscle wastage :( but we improved everything for him and it was all advice from here.

Have you seen the runaround tunnels? That might be easy then you could move the run around the garden still :)

Well we all start somewhere and I think learn as we go eh :D

if that was my set up, I'd put boards on the mesh part of his new house (to make it more hutch like) and use a run around to attach it all to the run :thumb:

Back