• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moulting question

courtneydayle

Alpha Buck
The breeder I got my Mini Rexes from said they'd go through a baby moult, losing all their baby fur and getting adult fur, when does this usually happen? She said its happening now, but I haven't noticed their hair coming out. They're very soft and they don't shed really.

With rexes I don't think you really notice their moult.
Just wet your hand with water and run it over them and all the loose hair will come off .

I have Mini Rexes.

To say one doesn't see them moulting is totally wrong! Their fur/hair comes out in clumps - it is very therapeutic to pluck them regularly, particularly in the summer. My daughter managed to get several handfuls of fur out of them during the summer months. They are still moulting now and tufts of fur ready to drop out actually appear to stand proud from the rest so it's easy to just pluck it out. It doesn't hurt - they don't even acknowledge we're doing it.

That said though, mine are the Satin variety and their fur is super, super soft. Like satin, oddly enough ...

Whether that makes a difference if yours aren't Satins, I'm not sure.

I had a rex once and he was much the same - less of the 'fur getting everywhere' kind of moult and more of the coming out in chunks kind of moult. He was such a handsome chap :love:

Then I'm guessing they're not even starting to moult yet with the info everyone's been telling me. Thanks for all the information. They're purebred mini rexes. They have really cute curly whiskers and eye lashes. They're extremely soft already!

My Chrissy was a mini rex and she did shed quite differently than Julie. Julie sheds here and there little bits of fur. Chrissy's fur came out in globs. It looked like a bunch of baby bunnies everywhere when she was shedding. I didn't find any brushes helpful at all. Like others said I could easily pluck clumps that were ready and she plucked herself too. The main difference from baby to adult that I noticed that as an adult her fur was supper thick so felt more plush as an adult.

My Chrissy was a mini rex and she did shed quite differently than Julie. Julie sheds here and there little bits of fur. Chrissy's fur came out in globs. It looked like a bunch of baby bunnies everywhere when she was shedding. I didn't find any brushes helpful at all. Like others said I could easily pluck clumps that were ready and she plucked herself too. The main difference from baby to adult that I noticed that as an adult her fur was supper thick so felt more plush as an adult.

How old are they when they usually start moulting?

Rex moults are weird... the first time big moulted I took him to the vets he looked so alarming! It starts at his nose and progresses down his body. He's a house rabbit so he seems to moult randomly... he's just started his second moult of the year and its EVERYWHERE. My house is ginger.:roll:

Rex moults are weird... the first time big moulted I took him to the vets he looked so alarming! It starts at his nose and progresses down his body. He's a house rabbit so he seems to moult randomly... he's just started his second moult of the year and its EVERYWHERE. My house is ginger.:roll:

Ginger Rexes are gorgeous!

to say rex's moult in a particular way isnt entirely true.
Poppets a mini and she moults like most bunnies just alot of it... Although on occasion she gets little darts i can pluck out.
Whereas my old foster standard rex used to moult in clumps.
Next doors Standard moults his top half in one big go and the rest flowly falls away.
Each bunny is different.
Although i was told the same with Oliver about his baby fur moult. hes a minilop but his moult's just started and hes 20 weeks old tomorrow.

Look after them on a nice diet and keep them healthytheyll do all the growing they need too :love:

My mini rex Jack sometimes moults like my nethies do, where the fur comes out in clumps, but sometimes it doesn't come out in clumps and it's more like the way a cat sheds.

Back