• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

im struggling to find hay!

lucy24

Mama Doe
that an be delievred for a reasonable price! i currently pay £32 per month for 5 rabbits hay. but i really want to get a bale -ive seen places but they cant deliver and i really need to tighten the cost. any ideas?

look down your yellow pages for horse feed or pigeon feed merchants. thats where I get my animal feed from. and horsey places usually deliver as horse people buy HUGE amounts and cannot usually collect themselves.
I pay £6 for a large bale of very nice hay and £3 delivery. place also does rabbit feed, my chicken food, shavings, straw, compost etc

Definately look for horse feed suppliers, or better still try and cadge a lift to your nearest farm.
I pay £3.50 for a big bale, which last my 10 about 2 weeks

Can you not go to a place that doesnt deliver, and get a lift from a friend or family member? Preferably one with a decent size car so you can put two or more in.

Take duvet cases to put the bales in, so the persons car doesnt get hay all over it, and of course offer to clean it out after if there is any hay in the car.

yeah hay for pets is what i usually get but id like to pay less:roll:

Trouble is - if they are good hay eaters of the stuff from HayforPets, it may not be the case if you get a bale of something cheaper. Mine love the Hayfor Pets Timothy & Rye and I know they eat it, so won't change, except to add others for a variety.

We have been having the same problem as our supplier had some of his fields flooded and put his prices up to £11.50p a bale and we just couldn't afford it anymore with having so many rabbits but we have found another place that does bales of Meadow hay for £4 and they are very good, but a lot of fields round here are still underwater due to flooding and a lot of farmers fields are ruined .

Hope you managed to find hay.

Just wondered whether you tried B & J Dance, linked by Janice in an earlier post, as they are in Berkshire.

Back