• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible cecum problems/UD He is gone

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
This morning Donovan refused his food, felt very bony along the spine, slightly watery eyes, sitting hunched up and had dribbles coming out of his mouth. He did take some mashed pellets and manuka honey when offered. Oh parsley too. No interest in normal pellets or hay, chewing slowly, teeth sounded as though they were grinding a bit. Nothing on the poo front either which suggests his tum was empty maybe. Certainly his tum did not feel gassy or pouchy, no discernible blockages.

I immediately thought the problem was dental and managed to get him to the vet at 11am. Vet checked Donny with the otoscope and said the molars look blunt but that this is normal :? They look aligned and don't overlap. So dental has been ruled out for now however I think I'd like to push for an x-ray and make sure the roots aren't causing problems.
Vet felt Donny's problem was possibly cecum related. He also said Donovan was dehydrated so he is going on the drip, one dose per hour. As Donny went back into the carrier he did 5 or 6 squidgy poops, varied in size (two were minute), not too loose but not too solid and dark in colour. Vet felt it was old food.

So we have to phone back at 3pm to arrange a pick up. We'll probably go home with metacam and critical care formula and take it from there I suppose :?

Donovan does have terminal gut failure and snuffles so he is already poorly so if anyone has any spare vibes or advice they'd be much appreciated thank you.

Last edited:
Poor lad, it sounds like cecal impaction. I hope that the Vet can get him feeling more comfortable. I have found Lactulose along with aggressive fluid therapy and prokinetics to be very helpful for treating cecal impaction. In the cases I have seen treatment needed to be ongoing for several days until the cecum cleared.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...rg/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Caecal_Impaction.htm

Thank you Jane, the way you put it is so much easier to understand. I think Donny will probably need a few days worth of treatment as he was so flat this morning.

Quick update, Donny has responded well to fluid and prokinetics. He has eaten and pooped too :D We can take him home at 6 but vet does want to talk to us first so will hopefully find out more than.

Donny is home now with a sackful of meds and I am £83 lighter :lol:

He has got metaclop, science recovery sachets and metacam. He also had fluids, metaclop and metacam during hospitalisation and has been eating and pooping for Scotland so he seems so much better already. We are going to take it very slow over the next couple of days and see how he gets on but we should see some improvements from here on in.

Well Donny is recovering very slowly. His poops are very large and soft, exactly like my late bun Ebonnie's who had terminal gut failure and he won't eat or drink unless I feed him. When I give him parsley and dill though he gobbles it of his own accord. His skin is very loose and baggy hanging around his feet. And I can feel his spine, its soooo bony. He was a slender rabbit anyway but now he just feels thin. He is normally a small, neat and trim bun so this is unusual. And he is just sitting hunched up doing nothing. Right now I would say he has no quality of life whatsoever :(

Called the who said its not unusual, just got to keep a close eye on him, if he gets any worse I can bring him in again. I'm debating whether to bring him in with me to sit on my lap or just to leave him in his run with his mate and all the familiar things :?

Back