• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny losing weight UD: Sadly passed away :(

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
Hi,

I just want to check as I know a few people in RU have experience with this. My friend has an 8yr old bun who has arthritis in his back legs, meaning at the moment, using them is extremely difficult. She's bum bathing him daily as he really needs it.

What else needs done? What is used for buns with this problem?

Also, his weight is dropping. I know many people use porridge oats. How do you feed them and how often? Do you mix them with water or leave dry?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Not sure. He had lost some weight a few weeks ago, but I got him up again. He is now skinny again. I haven't weighted him, but I can feel that he is skinny.

I think he is drinking as normal.

Is he an outdoor Rabbit ?

If so you may need to bring him in as immobility, chronic pain and daily washing will make it near impossible to get any condition on him once the cold weather really takes hold.

When was he last seen by the Vet and was his renal function checked ?

An elderly Rabbit with a poor coat and weightloss could point towards a renal problem, exacerbated by the Metacam. Although the Metacam is obviously essential to address his arthritic pain. I would expect the Rabbit to be drinking and weeing more than normal too if the Kidneys were an issue. So hopefully this is not the case

Acupuncture can be very beneficial as part of the treatment of arthritis, if it is not too stressful for the Rabbit. If it is then massaging the acupuncture pressure points has some benefit. You would need an Acupuncture trained Vet to show you how to do this.

Adding Glucosomine to the diet is another option. Some Rabbit pellets for older Rabbits have Glucosomine added

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/rabbit-suppl...50/vetpet-rabbit-food-with-glucosamine-p-4071

http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/pro...xcel-rabbit-mature-cranberry-amp-ginseng.html

I'd also worm him with panacur/lapizole to be on the safe side.....:?

Personally I would check with the Vet before doing that. Fenbendazole (the active ingredient in Panacur/Lapizole) does not come without side effects and I would only administer it if there was a definite clinical need to do so.

Personally I would check with the Vet before doing that. Fenbendazole (the active ingredient in Panacur/Lapizole) does not come without side effects and I would only administer it if there was a definite clinical need to do so.

Yes, always good to check with rabbit-savvy vet - agree :wave:

He is living in the garage. We have to move in november, so not sure how it's gonna be after we've moved as we haven't found a new house yet, but I don't want him outside.

He was in for a dental about 4-5 weeks ago so he had a check up then before the procedure. Will be needing a new one again soon (I'd guess within 1-2 weeks). His renal function has never been checked.

Do I need to have him checked by a vet asap or could it wait until I take him for the next dental?

He is normally fine, but today he has been quite poorly. He still eats and drinks, but he's been struggling to stand on his hind legs all day, and because of that needed extra care and extra bum baths. I normally give him a bum bath once or twice a week, when I see he needs it. Some days he is super good, most days are okay, and a then the occational really bad day like today :(

He has only started struggling with arthrisis the last few months really. I've never had a bun with arthrisis before so I'm still learning and trying to do my best.

I gave him another bum bath just earlier, and when I put him back into the garage he was able to stand and walk for a bit before he fell over. On the positive side, he was able to stand and walk for a bit, and not fall over instantly :)

I expect the falling temperature is making his arthritis worse. He sounds as if he needs to be a house bun :? I would definitely ask the vet if he can go onto panacur, given his symptoms...

He is living in the garage. We have to move in november, so not sure how it's gonna be after we've moved as we haven't found a new house yet, but I don't want him outside.

He was in for a dental about 4-5 weeks ago so he had a check up then before the procedure. Will be needing a new one again soon (I'd guess within 1-2 weeks). His renal function has never been checked.

Do I need to have him checked by a vet asap or could it wait until I take him for the next dental?

He is normally fine, but today he has been quite poorly. He still eats and drinks, but he's been struggling to stand on his hind legs all day, and because of that needed extra care and extra bum baths. I normally give him a bum bath once or twice a week, when I see he needs it. Some days he is super good, most days are okay, and a then the occational really bad day like today :(

He has only started struggling with arthrisis the last few months really. I've never had a bun with arthrisis before so I'm still learning and trying to do my best.

I gave him another bum bath just earlier, and when I put him back into the garage he was able to stand and walk for a bit before he fell over. On the positive side, he was able to stand and walk for a bit, and not fall over instantly :)

I would take him back to the Vet today He really cannot wait another 1-2 weeks

Good Luck

I agree about getting renal function checked, I've lost a few buns this year due to kidney issues.
One of mine, Thumper was not particularly wet and was not obviously drinking more but he lost a large amount of weight and became quite wobbly in his legs.
I am now realising that kidney disease in rabbits is much more common that I was originally aware of.

Just got back from the vet. He had fluid in his lungs, his heart was beating hard compensate, the muscles in his hind legs weren't strong any more and he seemed tired. So we desided to let him cross the bridge. :cry:

Rest in peace Muffe. I love you so much!

Just got back from the vet. He had fluid in his lungs, his heart was beating hard compensate, the muscles in his hind legs weren't strong any more and he seemed tired. So we desided to let him cross the bridge. :cry:

I am really sorry :cry:

Binky Free Muffe xx

:cry: aww im soo sorry, binkyfree muffe xxx

Back