• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Went to P@H yesterday - no bunnies, hamsters, piggies...

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
I know the CEO of P@H statement for the Watchdog report said their animals are all bred properly etc, but I can't help but wonder if that was the case then why have they taken all the animals away? Unless it's just to avoid negative comments from the public.

I also someone shoplifting a bag of cat food, bad times :roll: (they were caught!)

We only go in to pick up Burgess pellets for Buttons (she won't eat anything else) and they did have them last week on the day the show aired, but went in and it'd all be taken away even the adoption centre. They've got 'danger' tape and lots of pet food etc stacked up in the corner. Very bizarre. Makes me wonder if they've stopped selling them, where willthe existing animals go? :(

I went in yesterday to buy pellets and they had no pigs, one bunny, I didn't look at anything else, though the one near me is often like this untill they get more stock

Just thought I'd update, I went in today and there is new housing. It doesn't really look any bigger than the older type, but there was only one bunny rather than like 10, as there normally is. Hmm!

Ours has new housing, it's half the size it was yet they still stick 10+ rabbits/pigs in :roll: I won't even mention the hamsters/rats etc.. :evil:

Still hoping that Watchdog discouraged people to buy completely from Pets At Home, but hopefully to reconsider buying at all. Fingers crossed P@H take such a beating financially from reduced live animal sales they stop doing it altogether soon... :evil:

Sadly, ours is fully stocked with lots of young bunnies and piggies :cry:. I did manage to interfere with one lovely couple who were looking for a partner for an existing bunny and steered them towards rescue and this site :thumb:. Also gave them lots of information - especially when the assistant said bunnies didn't need other rabbits for company and were fine on their own (although she did say "as long as you give them lots of interaction") but still :roll:. The couple were lovely and were really interested in this site so let's hope they've been and had a look :D.

Still hoping that Watchdog discouraged people to buy completely from Pets At Home, but hopefully to reconsider buying at all. Fingers crossed P@H take such a beating financially from reduced live animal sales they stop doing it altogether soon... :evil:

Pretty sure they don't make mega amounts of money from Animal sales in the 1st place

I still use them when I need supplies as I can't simply wait for an order off the internet to arrive

We were in a our local one a few weeks ago when we got Russell Hamster from the adoption bit. He was "old stock", very overweight and being kept in a tiny glass fronted "box", no bedding and he was trying desperately to cover himself up with the sawdust :cry:

There were loads of rabbits and guinea pigs.

We were in a our local one a few weeks ago when we got Russell Hamster from the adoption bit. He was "old stock", very overweight and being kept in a tiny glass fronted "box", no bedding and he was trying desperately to cover himself up with the sawdust :cry:

There were loads of rabbits and guinea pigs.

Exactly why we got Phoebe and April :cry: no wonder they are/were how they are :cry::evil: I can't go in again in fear of adopting more. No bedding, no hidey area, just a thin layer of sawdust. They had 2 extremely overweight 9 month old female syrians together in the adoption section with one 5 inch wheel..:evil:

Exactly why we got Phoebe and April :cry: no wonder they are/were how they are :cry::evil: I can't go in again in fear of adopting more. No bedding, no hidey area, just a thin layer of sawdust. They had 2 extremely overweight 9 month old female syrians together in the adoption section with one 5 inch wheel..:evil:

Russell didn't even have a wheel :cry:

The assistant also said there were another 2 full grown Syrians "out the back" who were "biters" :(

Russell didn't even have a wheel :cry:

The assistant also said there were another 2 full grown Syrians "out the back" who were "biters" :(

They have taken all the wheels off them now, April didn't know how to use hers for about 2 months :( Phoebe got it straight away but when we went to pick her up the woman said "She bites and is really nasty" ...right okay.. :roll:

Back