• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mona Has Glaucoma :(

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
She was diagnosed today. One of her eyes is fully bloodshot and quite swollen, there may be a mass behind it and there is definitely a blockage. Vet did a test and it came back positive so she has been started on Trusopt eye drops to see if they will make a difference. We did discuss eye removal long term but given her age (10.5 years) it might not be feasible. She was also given a dose of metacam although we did not think she was in pain as she binkied and ate as normal and even licked me during the consultation. But of course we want to err on the side of caution.
We know here vision is slightly reduced as there is less light hitting the back of her eye but she is not bumping into things and moves with a finesse through tunnels and branches in the garden.

Has anyone got a glaucoma suffering bun and if so do you have any tips or advice? How does your bun cope and what works best for them meds or environment wise?

Thank you :)

I think she is mostly all right in herself but its nice to have the vibes, she is a very brave girl and quite a trooper.

It's amazing how resilient they can be. Glad she's still happy within herself.... :wave:

Widget had a bulging out eye a few months ago- not massively noticeable or bloodshot, but enough for me to notice. she was diagnosed with Glaucoma and has been having xalatan eye drops. Started with twice a day and she has been reduced to once a day. Her eye is a lot better now, looks normal really. She has probably got to stay on the drops for he life though. We are due a check up in December.

Widget had a bulging out eye a few months ago- not massively noticeable or bloodshot, but enough for me to notice. she was diagnosed with Glaucoma and has been having xalatan eye drops. Started with twice a day and she has been reduced to once a day. Her eye is a lot better now, looks normal really. She has probably got to stay on the drops for he life though. We are due a check up in December.

Thanks for this, it corresponds with what I was told as well. Mona is on trusopt and she is getting two drops a day with the plan to reduce them next week depending on her progress. She will also be on them for the rest of her life.

How is old is your Widget?

Back