• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Pippin's urine is white/milky? :(

jazxo

Mama Doe
It has been like this since yesterday and in the past month I've noticed she's been drinking a lot of water (no idea if it's related)
I've heard this could be from too much calcium? She's had a fair bit of hawthorn recently and that's the only change to her diet apart from not getting any romaine lettuce any more? If photos are needed I'll take some.

It is calcium, but if its just white in colour its not too much of an issue as this is how excess is removed from the body.

However if it is gritty or sludgy looking then I would be concerned.

It would be worth looking at the buns overall diet.

What is Pippin's EXACT daily diet?

She's only 5 months old and was on unlimited pellets until about two weeks ago. I'm currently giving her 1/3 of a cup of pellets in the morning and evening to cut her down gradually, I'll very soon be cutting it down to 1/4 of a cup and so on.

She gets fresh meadow hay and timothy hay(Burgess Excell one with marigold and dandelion) everyday (in her litter tray, hay rack and bedroom compartment). She's doing good with hay at the moment but not eating quite as much as I'd like her to.

I often give her apple sticks with leaves, dandelion leaves, weeping willow leaves, blackberry leaves, big handfulls of grass, hawthorn plus occasionally other forage.
Sometimes she would only get blackberry leaves and grass, sometimes she would get 4 or 5 different things etc.

Apart from the amount of pellets which you are reducing anyway that sounds fine.

Any veg or herbs given?

Apart from the amount of pellets which you are reducing anyway that sounds fine.

Any veg or herbs given?

I'm glad that sounds okay.
Occasionally basil and she used to get a romaine lettuce leaf a day and maybe a bit of broccoli once a week but I'm now trying to give her more natural diet.

Do you think I should just watch it and if it doesn't go away in the next few days then vets?

It's like, chalky? I don't know if that makes sense. I use Carefresh bedding and the liquid sinks into it and this chalky residue is left on top. Should I take a photo?

Polka's is the same. There's not chunks or stuff like that, but it leaves a chalky residue. I don't know how long it's been like this, I haven't had them very long. They get pellets, a cup or so a day, bermuda hay and some fruits and veggies. Should I not worry unless it gets gritty?

Definitely sounds like bladder sludge.
You can get it flushed but seems really going to have it.
We switched to soft water with my bun that had it which helped as our water oscillations really hard here

Might be worth a vet looking at it to check as sludge can be very painful to pass

We switched to soft water with my bun that had it which helped as our water oscillations really hard here

Might be worth a vet looking at it to check as sludge can be very painful to pass

So water could be doing it? I had them in the city fro a couple days and they were drinking city water, which I did not like. Now they are on well water, think that will help?

Thanks for this, it has totally stopped now. Should I still see a vet?

Back