• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing rabbits to a kitten

HoneyBear

Mama Doe
Anyone done it?
I would really like them to be able to live together happily, rabbits will NEVER be left with the cat alone!
Where do I start, obviously don't want to upset the rabbits!

Rabbits = prey creatures
Cats = predators

Sorry, you aren't going to get a good response, many people, such as me disagree with letting them interact. It takes 1/10 of a second for a cat to 'play' with a rabbit and give it a little scratch which can be enuogh to kill.

I think if you're going to do it you should either do it now and introduce them in a way that means that they couldn't possibly come in to contact with each other or wait until the kitten is older and less playful.

Personally I wouldn't ever allow a cat and rabbit to be together because of the amount of bacteria that cats carry and that they could kill a rabbit with no ill intentions at all.

I love Bear and Alice and I would hate for either of them to get hurt by a kitten/cat especially now you have them bonded and happy. There are folk on here with both so it's not impossible, but kittens can be very "playful" and they have to practise their prey behaviour on something. May it not be the rabbits.

They wont be ever left alone together, I do realise there completely different species and do not mix. I have scratches all over my hands from him I'd never put my rabbits at risk of that!
The only reason I'd like them to live happily together is when the cat goes outside, his cat flap will be in the room next to the rabbits, which has patio doors, so he will be able to see in to the rabbits and the rabbits will be able to see him.
I'd just like to be able to go to work in the morning without the fear of the cat being sat at the patio door all day traumatising the rabbits!
The rabbits have their own room, the cat never need even go in there and he wont as that is their territory.

I wouldn't let a kitten meet rabbits. I have no issues with cats and rabbits being around each other, but I think kittens are too unpredictable. I'd either keep a cage between them in the same room (in a way that means the kitten can't get it's claws through) or wait until the cat is much older.

I do mix my rabbits and cats, and I know a lot of other people on here do too, but kittens want to play with everything and I wouldn't risk it until they've settled down. All it takes is one playful bat with the claws out and you can have a poorly bunny.

Back