• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing for 3 Mini Rex rabbits *UPDATED*

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
*Well, apparently they are all sold now, so question is now, should i get some rescue rabbits instead? Do I have the space for a pair or trio?*

Hey

I am looking at 3 mini rex female rabbits at the pet shop. They have been in there all their lives, they are 9 months old and I feel so sorry for them, that I want to get them.

Is this suitable accommodation for them?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rabbit_cage/120_cm_cages/137450

120cm cage, 3 storey used as a base.

And free range 24/7 in an area of 6 feet x 5 feet. They would be indoors on rubber matting.

Is this ok for 3 of them? I know you shouldn't buy from pet shops, but i feel like they'll spend their whole lives in there, so I want to "rescue" them.

Last edited:
The pet shop will only replace them once you've bought them with more, so you wouldnt be rescuing, you'll be adding to the buy/sell/stock more problem.

And no, in my opinion, that cage is not suitable for 1 rabbit, let alone 3. Why do they even need a base if they are only going to be kept in a 6x5 area indoors, could you not just leave them in the 6x5ft area with a couple of litter trays and tunnels etc? I certainly wouldnt waste £180 on it :shock:

Agree with Graham 110% on both counts, but you already know what we will all say about the buying part so just to deal with the housing part.

These cages are not suitable for bunnies full stop in my humble opinion, not even small breeds.

I had one of the two storey versions donated and it's absolutely awful and when it was designed rabbits obviously weren't at the forefront of the designers mind.

The openings between floors are tiny and the ramps too small - severe risk of bashing backs. The rabbits will not be able to enter exit without risk of injury either, even if the doors are removed - how were you anticipating them getting in and out of their free range area and into this when the door is so high up? Even if you don't have the trolley it's still going to risk feet getting stuck in caging to enter exit.

My two mini rexes have a 6x3x4 hutch with run attached and I still don't think that is big enough.

Last edited:
Thanks for opinions.

I know about pet shops, and I wouldn't normally buy from them, and I certainly wouldn't impulse buy. But these girls are probably never going to get a home, after 9 months, they are now out of the cute stage, and have almost zero chance of getting a home, especially as there are 3 of them.

I also understand about the cage. As they will have 24/7 access to the room anyway, they don't need a base. And the space would be bigger then, it would be 7ft x 6ft space. Is that enough for 3 mini rex rabbits full time? (they will get time outdoors in nice weather in a large run).

I think you could happily house a pair in that space, but not to bother with a hutch or cage for them. Although a dog cage with the door open might be smart.

thanks happysaz.

I've seen 2 gorgeous young males in P@H adoption centre. I'm thinking about adopting them to live indoors. I'm planning on using playpen and stairgates to divide the room (my part and their enclosure). What height should I get? How high is it impossible for rabbits to jump?

thanks happysaz.

I've seen 2 gorgeous young males in P@H adoption centre. I'm thinking about adopting them to live indoors. I'm planning on using playpen and stairgates to divide the room (my part and their enclosure). What height should I get? How high is it impossible for rabbits to jump?

our rabbits will easily scale over a metre as they don't just jump clear over but will jump up and climb the rest.

thank you. so around 3.5 - 4 feet would be suitable?

1 metre = 3.2808399 feet

4ft + as a minimum i would say and at that, i'd think putting a roof on somehow (old sheet etc) would be prudent.

We once found Biscuit running round our living room one morning, having escaped from his 3ft pen, he'd jumped the pen, got ontop of the 4ft hutch that was in the pen and was then running around.

All depends on the bun too, some buns just dont enjoy the jumping and climbing, others do. Ginger for example can't jump very high, but she CAN climb and has been known to be found hanging from the top of a pen panel, front paws over the top and legs dangling waiting to be rescued :lol:

Back