• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not a good day for Muffe UD post 9

Minilop3

Warren Scout
Muffe has arthrisis in this lower back, and some days are good and some days are not so good. Today is not a good day at all for him. When I went out to him this morning he didn't walk on his hind legs at all. :( I gave him some metacam and I hope he'll feel better soon. He is also quite thin now. Any tips on how to get him up in weight?
I'm gonna give him a bum bath later as he was messy.
He is almost 8 years so he is an old guy, but I love him so much. It's sad to see him on the days he isn't feeling good.

Last edited:
Poor soul :( He looks like a proper wee cutie in your sig too!

Don't know if you have considered this but I believe some members have found acupuncture helpful for their arthritic buns, maybe that would be an option for Muffe? Depends on if it is available in your area obviously but might be worth a look? Maybe also chat to the vet about upping his metacam dosage on bad days.

Porridge is great for gaining weight, just make it up with water. My buns have loved it warm, sometimes with chopped fruit in for an extra special treat! However if his bun gets sticky I would keep an extra close eye on anything new. Is the messy bum because he has trouble cleaning?

Hope your wee man feels better soon.

Thank you. I'll have a look into acupuncture in the area :) and I need to speak with the vet soon anyway cause I've soon run out of metacam. I'll ask about upping his dosage on bad days.

Yes, he hasn't been very good at cleaning his bum for a while now, so I have to clean him/bum bath him regularly. I'm gonig out now to see if the local store has porridge :wave:

Is the cold making him worse do you think?
Could you bring them inside for the winter at all or is than not possible?

I hope he is feeling better soon:love:

They are currently in the garage, so it's not too bad. I'm not sure yet what makes him worse or better. He has been good for a little while now.

I don't have experience of elderly buns, but hope some of the suggestions others have made help Muffe. Quite a few people on here use porridge for older buns, or ones struggling to keep weight on for health reasons. Hopefully someone can answer your question about how much to feed.

How much and how often should I feed Muffe porridge to get him up in weight?

Don't have an accurate answer to this one I'm afraid! I fed a small bowl once a day and just let them eat what they want, they nibbled at it throughout the day. If Muffe is a piggy regarding food, maybe feed in small spoonfuls a few times a day to prevent the whole lot going at once. The reason you make it up with water (as opposed to feeding raw oats) is because oats swell up so much, they can eat too many and then have swell up in the stomach which isn't a good idea. As with anything start with small quantities and see how they react.

I've had another thought, perhaps you could feed Muffe junior pellets as I have read that they're better for weight gain. Not sure on the facts of this one though. I would also feed unlimited pellets if you aren't already.

I agree with Geoff's people about the cold. People with OA do complain that their pain is worse in the cold, so perhaps worth asking your vet about?

Last edited:
Thank you all for the helpful replies.

I took him to the vets this afternoon. He had fluid in his lungs, his heart was beating hard compensate, the muscles in his hind legs weren't strong anymore and he seemed tired. So we desided to let him cross the bridge. :cry:

Rest in peace Muffe. I love you so much!

Back