• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need help with Grim - snuffles etc :(

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
The infection has spread to his other nostril and both are blocked up. He's really having a hard time breathing. :(
He's on seprin, penicillin injections and saline solution nebuliser. I just started giving him metacam over the last few days and it's got worse since then. Is it possible that the anti inflammatory in the metacam has caused him to unblock allowing the infection to come out more? I'm hoping that things look bad but that they're okay. Otherwise this might be the end. When he gets too blocked up he stops eating. I think we might have run out of options to unblock him unless we keep him on four different antibiotics permanently. :(

Thanks for the vibes. He's still eating right now. I'm going to give him a couple if days to see if it settles down otherwise it's back to the vets. :(

Oh no poor Grim, you must be so worried :cry:

Im afraid I have no advice, I just wanted to send him tons of recovery vibes. Thinking of you both xxxxxxc

I'll see those vibes and raise you a hundred more... (((((((((((((((((((((((((Grim)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
I'm sorry he's having such trouble, Jenova. I'm sad to hear nebulizing hasn't helped...that would be my first thought. Can your weather be a factor again also?

Could you try the echinacea tincture that thumps_ told us all about? I just got some alcohol free echinacea/goldenseal drops today that I'm going to try treating Mimzy for his tilt with once I clear it with my vet.
You and Grim (and Smoo) are all in my prayers. I hope something can be done for him, sweet wee bub. :love:

Thank you. I'll get some echinacea and try that too. We've need doing diy and painting but I've been very careful to keep the bedroom door closed and the window open to protect all the animals. But it could be that too.

Could you possibly try nebulising F10SC instead of just Saline? It's a disinfectant cleaner that can be used for surfaces etc, but its had amazing results in Ginger, it's all we ever use. We use a solution of 1:200 with water yet with Saline, we dont get anywhere.

Also, could you try echinacea and bisolvon if you don't already to help a) boost immune system and b) thin the mucus to allow him to breathe a little easier?

Huge hugs Jen, i know how tough this is, sending loads and loads of vibes for Grimster.

So sorry to hear that Grim is poorly, I couldn't just read and run, even though I can't offer any advice. Sending vibes Xxx

I would of thought Bisolven a must if you aren't already using it.

Also how often and how long are you nebulising?

:( it's tough isn't it. can you try nebulising some of the medication instead. this helped matt get stable, even though it took a long time to get there, we did.

also, with matt, he also got alot worse before better. it was like his nose was completely blocked and then a few times he made these awful noises, it was like a plug was unblocking from his nose. he went into shock and i couldn't get him to move. i thought that was it for him but after this happened a few times, the amount that came out was unbelieveable.

it could be that there is simply too much mucus to drain and he needs a helping hand with it. matt has had the back of his nose drained by the vet a few times aswell. he found that the back of the nose was a pool of mucus and very inflammed. it was just building up quicker than we could drain it.

i'll be honest, this was the worst time for us. nothing was working for matt and it was awful. i think it's just about trying different things unfortunately, but definitely try nebulising a medication instead, as it gets right to the place it's needed. penicillin injections were good for bisc, but not enough for matt. we saw a difference after having his nose drained, and definitely when we nebulised medication instead of all the others we had tried.

if you have tried alot of things and nothing is working, maybe try amikacin or we use gentamicin which is very strong but very good. we try and leave as long as possible between courses but at first it was week on week off, and gradually it became every 4-6 weeks. we did mix this with parvolex and hypertonic saline though, and parvolex is not available anymore so we're struggling really. the saline we use is one that says vetivex 20 on it, apparantly this is better the vet said. originally we used normal saline and the vet switched to this one.

massive hugs x

If you can't get alcohol free echinacea tincture, get the normal one and drop the dose you need into a small amount of very hot water and the alcohol will evaporate away;)

Sorry I can't help more than that:cry:

Thanks all. That's a lot more to try. :)

We've tried bisolvon before but he stopped eating. I think he was in pain because so much mucus came out but my vet it's wary of trying it again. I think it might be worth it but his gut it's bound to be in a bad way. So difficult.

Thanks all. That's a lot more to try. :)

We've tried bisolvon before but he stopped eating. I think he was in pain because so much mucus came out but my vet it's wary of trying it again. I think it might be worth it but his gut it's bound to be in a bad way. So difficult.

I dont know of Grim's gut issues, only his snuffley issues as we've talked in the past - bisolvon never stopped Ginger eating and although i know all bunnies are different, she has 'gut' type issues going on too, how did you administer it, just pour it over his pellets?

Could you manage twice in the week, even if it was two shorter bursts?

Does Grim have any probiotics to counter the meds effects on the guts?

Bluebell just had 1 pinch of bisolven twice a day on food and it had no adverse effects on his gut. I wonder if you could nebulise the bisolven as that would have less effect on the gut but don't know if thats even possible as its a powder?

I've spoken to the vets and we're going to try F10 and another decongestant that can be nebulised (but smells like rotten eggs apparently). He will be nebulised twice a day, even in the week, once with the F10 and once with the decongestant. During the week it will be twice in the evening, a few hours apart.

Hopefully this will help him. They're going to post everything to me and with luck it will be here by Saturday. I think I'm going to work from home tomorrow to keep an eye on him, I'm really worried. :(

Thanks so much everyone for all your advice. Any idea how long it will take to get some sort of reaction from the F10?

He doesn't have any probiotics because although his stomach is a bit of a mess (bad poos) he gets on okay and we don't want to upset the balance. Outwardly he looks very healthy, glossy fur, nice and stocky. When he's not so snotty it's really hard to tell he's as ill as he is. The vets always comment on how well he looks and how happy he is considering everything that's wrong. I just need to get him happy again.

I've spoken to the vets and we're going to try F10 and another decongestant that can be nebulised (but smells like rotten eggs apparently). He will be nebulised twice a day, even in the week, once with the F10 and once with the decongestant. During the week it will be twice in the evening, a few hours apart.

Hopefully this will help him. They're going to post everything to me and with luck it will be here by Saturday. I think I'm going to work from home tomorrow to keep an eye on him, I'm really worried. :(

Thanks so much everyone for all your advice. Any idea how long it will take to get some sort of reaction from the F10?

He doesn't have any probiotics because although his stomach is a bit of a mess (bad poos) he gets on okay and we don't want to upset the balance. Outwardly he looks very healthy, glossy fur, nice and stocky. When he's not so snotty it's really hard to tell he's as ill as he is. The vets always comment on how well he looks and how happy he is considering everything that's wrong. I just need to get him happy again.

It took no more than 3 days with Ginger, it REALLY was dramatic.

Back