• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long Term E.C Bun Care

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Can anyone shed some light on what its like to care for a rabbit who never fully recovers from E.C, or the symptoms of it as such.

Domino has been hit by a bout of E.C very badly, although he is making good progress. He went straight to trembling, eye rolling etc even though he was fine the day before. It has been five days and he is doing well. Hid video diary starts on Day 4, only one video right now but a few one will be up tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHtpnBtno1Y

My biggest concern is his long term quality of life, I understand he could have head tilt to some extent permanently, and also his mobilty could stay compromised.

For those of you who had E.C buns, and i know this will be different in every case but - what changes did you have to make?

I'd be interested in this too. Amber is back to her normal self after her suspected EC but i know it was caught extremely early.

Can anyone shed some light on what its like to care for a rabbit who never fully recovers from E.C, or the symptoms of it as such.

Domino has been hit by a bout of E.C very badly, although he is making good progress. He went straight to trembling, eye rolling etc even though he was fine the day before. It has been five days and he is doing well. Hid video diary starts on Day 4, only one video right now but a few one will be up tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHtpnBtno1Y

My biggest concern is his long term quality of life, I understand he could have head tilt to some extent permanently, and also his mobilty could stay compromised.

For those of you who had E.C buns, and i know this will be different in every case but - what changes did you have to make?

Yuki fully recovered from ec several times with only a slight head tilt which hardly effected her at all, the only issue was weeing on herself due to weakness in her left leg so I had her shaved regularly and applied sudocream. But she was a normal happy hoppy bun I just had to make the flooring non slippy for her.

Now however shes taken a turn for the worst mobility wise and I am having to do more , however her bottom is much better she wees on herself less.... this requires me to use floor which has better grip. she has lost control of her hind legs, she can still hop and move about but when resting her legs go at funny angels and she cant hop for long periods of time, she sometimes falls over. however the padded and vet bed help her get back up, get grip and be comfortable.

I have changed her diets to have more things to help the kidney and liver as thats something ec can attack so I am putting a boost for them, I give her fattening foods to help keep her weight up as weight loss is another issue she has due to ec.

she has toys to play with which she loves, I have her and yuri with me in the living room for as long as possible she loves being around everyone and gets lots of fusses.

I have made her a harness to walk around in a few times a day she shoots off in it and I find it hard to keep up 0_o

I gently rub and touch her feet and leg and give her gentle massages.

I clean out everything everyday

shes on avipro and lots of other herbs as well as her metacam and panacur at the moment

sometimes catching it early is not enough sometimes it helps a great deal its all depends its a booger of a disease

Thanks for the replies :)

Domino lived outside with his two ladies. I cant keep them together because they harass him and I was doing little visits as Jelly has been grooming him but today he started biting them, and then he snuggled up to me and groomed me so I think he just wants to be left alone. Has anyone had trouble re bonding when they had to be seperated? Domino was the boss rabbit in the trio and even though Pebbles gets picked on nobody ever picked on Domino so I am hoping they will.

Also, does anyone have E.C buns who stayed able to live outside? I am worried he is going to have to be a permanent indoor bun, which would mean permanent alone because I have asthma and bad health so three rabbits(inc two healthy destructive messy ones) really wouldnt be possible. And the idea of him being indoors alone the rest of his life makes me so sad, because he is a bun who loves his girls.

:censored::censored::censored:

Bloody thing just crashed as I had written a huge reply for you, I'll repost when I've calmed down a bit

most ec buns do live inside because of the bennifits,

1: better flooring for better grip if they have mobility issues

2: warmth - helps their overall health when immune system is fighting illness

3: you can keep an close eye on them and notice if they are having problems

But if you can provide these outside then that is fine too

I had no probs rebonding Comet after his seperation for EC. Obviously I'd of liked to keep them together but he was far to unsteady and kept getting knocked over, it also made it easier to monitor his eating habits.

I rebonded Dinky with Poppy after he had been separated for EC, but not with Gus until after I lost sweetpea as he'd get a bit bouncy and knock him over...when poppy had headtilt I didn't separate and the others didnt hassle her

I have changed her diets to have more things to help the kidney and liver as thats something ec can attack so I am putting a boost for them, I give her fattening foods to help keep her weight up as weight loss is another issue she has due to ec.

Just out of interest, what foods do you give? Last time I took Walter to the vet he had lost a bit of weight, but so had Nora and they usually lose weight over the summer and put it back on in the winter, so I"m not concerned at the moment. But I'd like to know what's good for their kidney and liver.

We couldn't move Walter inside as we don't have anywhere safe or of a good temperature. But we got a big playhouse and added levels to it so they've got space, but he's not sat on the wet ground. He's started pooing everywhere and in the rain it would get mushed up onto the bottom of his feet. The playhouse seems loads better and he gets up and down the ramp fine, but we added carpet and grips to it.

Other than that, we don't do a lot different. Obviously keeping an eye on him to make sure nothing changed and that he's clean and happy :)

Just out of interest, what foods do you give? Last time I took Walter to the vet he had lost a bit of weight, but so had Nora and they usually lose weight over the summer and put it back on in the winter, so I"m not concerned at the moment. But I'd like to know what's good for their kidney and liver.

We couldn't move Walter inside as we don't have anywhere safe or of a good temperature. But we got a big playhouse and added levels to it so they've got space, but he's not sat on the wet ground. He's started pooing everywhere and in the rain it would get mushed up onto the bottom of his feet. The playhouse seems loads better and he gets up and down the ramp fine, but we added carpet and grips to it.

Other than that, we don't do a lot different. Obviously keeping an eye on him to make sure nothing changed and that he's clean and happy :)

hello see this site http://riseandshinerabbitry.com/2012/06/09/medicinal-herbs-for-rabbits/

I do not recommend a herb treatment only though, some only use herbal remedies and not the meds vets recommend, I suggest using these alongside the meds adding them your buns diet.

MILK THISLTE, has benifits for the liver and kidneys.

Dried cranberries are good for kidney and bladder problems

Thyme can be good when they have mushy stools

PLANTAIN LEAF for lungs, inflammations, sores, and wounds.

ECHINACEA is great for the immune system and boosting it

COMFREY LEAVES are good for bone, muscles and ill rabbits

As well as hay I have her on a pellet and supreme vetcare plus urinary and liver and vetcare plus digestion sticks. I feed her oat, wheat and barey hay to which she scoffs she really likes it lol

Back