• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scruffing rabbits

MichG

Mama Doe
Why should we not scruff rabbits?
I don't do it myself but need to be able to tell someone why it is wrong, and want to get other peoples views on it first

Its how theyre caught by predators in the wild.It :(causes them a great deal of stress

Whenever I've seen wildlife programmes and a bunny has been caught by a fox, the fox has simply grabbed it around its middle and not by the scruff, so I disagree with your statement I'm afraid. I'm not saying you are wrong; I'm just saying some predators may just happen to grab that way but the ones I've seen on TV haven't. Logically speaking it's best that they don't either, as grabbing a bunny by its scruff if the bunny struggled enough it could get free; it wouldn't be able to free itself if it were being held around its middle.

My vet handled my rabbits by their scruff (supporting their bottoms too) and they seemed fine; no extra large eyes with shock/horror. I have picked them up by their scruff too, but don't now because of my long nails - I wouldn't want to hurt them. I generally pick them up with my hands under their front legs/chest and bottom and then cuddle them into me. They don't like it but I do :lol:

stoats kill rabbits by attacking and biting the back of the neck. don't watch this unless you really want to know http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNbqvqf3-14 . i only know about the video because some of my lower attaining pupils are working on uk wildlife as part of their religious education.

what's that to do with r e?
who made the animals? how should we treat animals?

FYI RWAF policy on scruffing of buns at the bottom of the page in this link -
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/?section=policies.html

Wow that's interesting as I went to see the nurse for Doughnut's health check yesterday and she showed me how to pick her up and this was to scruff her neck while supporting her bum with the other hand. When she put her down Doughnut didn't flick her legs or stamp her foot like she sometimes does. She said that's the best way.

When I've seen another vet he's told me to place my hand over her two front legs area, so one hand is on top and then the other I support her bum again. This is the same as the bunnery guy did, he sort of flattened her a bit with his hand over her two front legs then supported her bum with the other hand.

I wouldn't be able to put my hand underneath her chest and the other underneather her bum as she's too quick!

Back