• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has the cold weather bought out a natural instinct to tunnel?

newbabybuns

Warren Veteran
Frankie has been making a tunnel in her hay again today. I sat and watched her make it, turning herself round in it and shifting bits of hay, it was fascinating to watch. It is completely different to when she has nested before, no hay gathering in the mouth etc so I am sure she is tunnelling. Is it because she is feeling the cold now? I've never had a bunny tunnel in hay before. Her sister (housed seperately) has decided to spend more time in her bed at night, so I know she is feeling it as normally she would flop along the door when I put her away.

These bunnies have a routine like clockwork, so anything suddenly out of the norm for them I panic at! It is just the cold though isn't it? She is very much a free spirit bunny, will not tolerate being held at all (until she had bloat a couple of months ago, then just let me pick her up with no fight) so I wonder if she has more natural urges than the others.

I was wondering this too.... last year was our first winter having rabbits and it didn't really get cold :roll: but its already colder here, and Tia has started digging (she only dug the snow earlier in the year) - im not sure she realises what she's meant to do (as in build a tunnel :lol:) she's just digging at the bark chippings in the garden (much to john's annoyance :lol:)

It must be the weather then I guess, funny little things! Wish I could make a little tunnel and curl up in it, it's freezing and I can't get motivated to do anything :lol:

She's made another one overnight, this one is about half a metre maybe longer long! I thought she'd just had a tearing session with the paper, decided to get the bin bag to clean it all out, went back and she had disappeared inside it :shock::lol: There was another fully formed tunnel! She had gone under the newspaper and stood up so it made a tunnel shape, and made a tunnel leading up to this taller bedroom part out of hay and paper. I asked her what she was doing :oops: and she stood up under the newspaper part lifting it with her head, she looked so happy and proud of herself :lol:

Her body language is completely different when she is in it and adding bits to it, it's like getting an insight into how wildies might behave :love:

mine seem to make tunnels in hay for fun, 'because they can'. but i'm putting more hay in the carriers/hides in case of cold nights, even though they are indoors.

I bet they are having a great time with all the extra hay!

I've noticed now Frankie doesn't seem to want us to see how she gets into her tunnel. If she comes out of it, then decides she wants to go back in, she goes over and sits at the entrance to it looking at us. I imagine "move along, nothing to see here" going through her head :lol: because as soon as we go out of sight she will go in. When she is in it she mostly ignores us, it's almost like when kids cover their eyes they think you can't see them :lol:

Back