• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is Brucey cold????

ReeceT

Warren Scout
Hi,
We have put our rabbits outside on Saturday after they have lived in the house for a year or so. I was concerned about how cold it is in there for them in particular Bruce who is a small rabbit, about 1.75kgs (she is a German lop of around 4kgs). The temp gets down to between 7-10 degrees at night at the moment, they have a heat pad at night although I don’t think they know it is there for them to warm up. They do sort of snuggle together throughout the day and I can only assume they do this at night. He has a nice wooden box with lots of hay I made for them to sleep in, but rabbits being rabbits they are sleeping under the storage cupboard instead.
His ears are not warm at any point of the day but he still seems to be acting normal, jumping around like a mad bun when it is din dins time. I just hope he is not getting too cold, especially when it is going to colder soon.
Thoughts and reassurance would help from peeps in the forum. :D

Hi ReeceT, welcome to the forum :D:wave:

It's not the low temperature in particular that will bother them (after all, lots of buns live outside year round) but rather the transition from indoor to outdoor. Normally people put them outdoor in the spring/summer where the change is not so drastic and they'll have a chance to develop a winter coat. Personally I think it is now too cold to be putting a rabbit out, it's just cold so early this year!

Do they live in a shed or hutch? If they have to stay out, I would just stuff the place full of hay and fleece and snugglesafes and leave them to keep each other warm. You could always insulate the thing they live in, although with a hutch this is obviously a much easier job!

I was worried about this a couple of weeks ago so posted this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?354597-Is-to-too-late-for-T-amp-B-to-go-outsie

This is the first time we have had them outdoors and they are in a 3m x 3m shed and just roam about. They did not go out in the summer as it was too hot in the shed and would get to over 30 degrees, they now have an air conditoner ready for next summer. There was talk of getting a panel heater but not sure how effective this would be due to the height of the celing (unless I put some wood up and insuate it).

We did not want to put them in a hutch in the garden in spring/summer as they have had the whole house to be free in.

Are there signs that he could be too cold???? :(:(

Back