• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly has a poorly eye

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
My eldest bun, Molly, who is currently in the trio being bonded with Hovis has a really sore eye.

She gets this periodically and I bathe it and put drops in and usually it gets better within a day or so, but not this time. Her eye looks horrible so she is off to the vet later today. Not sure who to take with her - will probably take Hovis as a car journey should cement the bond.

I've had huge vet bills recently with a hamster and three cats being poorly and all eventually going to the Bridge. Am frantically trying to swap money around so my overdraft is spread over three accounts so I don't go over my limit.

Vibes for Molly would be appreciated. She is still eating well which is a good sign.

I always think it is worth taking a pciture, so that you can track how it is developing, also by posting on here you can normally get some good advice/hints ir tips if it is similar to what some of the other bun owners have experienced

Poor Molly has an abscess:( Her teeth are perfect though - which is a relief at her age. I already have baytril and metacam at home and the vet said bathing in a salt and water solution will be just as good as eye drops, given how broke I am at the moment. If I think Molly needs drops I can go back.

I thought she had lost weight - and she has:( I need to start feeding her up a bit - maybe I have cut back on the pellets too much. Sam (Bluesmum) suggested it could be a result of when she was grieving for Dylan and that could well be the case. I have bought some carrots with tops as they were on offer yesterday and Molly loves those.

Lots of vibes for Molly. I've always used Optrex eyewash (or the Boots own brand one) for poorly eyes, it soothes them and a bottle lasts ages if you use a syringe to squirt it in with.

Poor Molly, where abouts is the abscess ?

I'm not actually sure:oops: The vet said there was an abscess straight away and spent a fair while checking her mouth and teeth but said all was absolutely fine and she has good teeth. Molly is a 'mature' bun and has never had a dental, so that makes sense.

I think it is at the bottom of her eye. Her eye was closed up with yucky stuff but isn't any longer. Molly is so good at letting me bathe it and she takes her meds easily too. She seems fine in herself, fortunately. Think the vet's treatment is working as it is definitely better than it was.

Am pleased to report that Molly's eye is much better now. She moved back outside today following the failed bonding with Hovis and seems happier now she has more room to stretch her paws.

Her eye is still sore but it was much, much worst before - closed a lot of the time.

30912-Mollyseyeisalotbetter.jpg

Last edited:
Am pleased to report that Molly's eye is much better now. She moved back outside today following the failed bonding with Hovis and seems happier now she has more room to stretch her paws.

Her eye is still sore but it was much, much worst before - closed a lot of the time.

30912-Mollyseyeisalotbetter.jpg

Glad to hear she is doing better

You didn't mean 'ulcer' rather than 'abscess' did you ??

Glad to hear she is doing better

You didn't mean 'ulcer' rather than 'abscess' did you ??

Good thinking Jane. The vet I saw is lovely, but he is from Bulgaria and his English isn't always perfect. I think he probably did mean ulcer.

Molly is much happier now she is outside again. She was busy humping poor Bumble this morning:love:

Good thinking Jane. The vet I saw is lovely, but he is from Bulgaria and his English isn't always perfect. I think he probably did mean ulcer.

Molly is much happier now she is outside again. She was busy humping poor Bumble this morning:love:

I thought it probably was.

Back