• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

snugglesafes?

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi,

I believe Peter sits right by the mesh of his hutch at night (he certainly starts there and hubby has seen him sat there at 2am) and I'm concerned how I'm going to keep him warm during the winter? There is loads of straw and hay in his bed area but he appears to not use it :roll:

I've read very mixed reviews about these snugglesafes? Are they good?? I'm thinking I could put one where Peter usually lies.

Thanks

Iv got 6 snugglesafes and to be honist im not convinced...they seem to go cold very very quickly :? My buns sit out in their runs in all weather but i just make sure they have lots of snuggle warm, dry hay in their hutch and trust them that they will go in when they need to :)

They sat out in thick snow last year...not bothered by it at all! :thumb:

Iv got 6 snugglesafes and to be honist im not convinced...they seem to go cold very very quickly :? My buns sit out in their runs in all weather but i just make sure they have lots of snuggle warm, dry hay in their hutch and trust them that they will go in when they need to :)

They sat out in thick snow last year...not bothered by it at all! :thumb:

Ah thanks Megansmummy,

I am worrying, honestly, people keep telling me that rabbits survive in the wild OK so surely as long as I make sure there is plenty of straw / hay available he will be fine:D. I think I would feel so much happier if he appeared to use his bedding area but even today, when it was absolutley pouring, he was still laying right up against the mesh, getting wet :roll::lol:

I have inside bunnies, so have never researched anything about outdoors ones, but ever since I joined/started posting on and reading rabbit forums, I've seen so many people say theirs will sit out in all weathers! It's so strange, you'd think they'd be willing to sacrifice their view of the garden for being warm and dry but nope, haha. It would scare me to death.

hey!:wave:
Mine also like to sit in all weathers...but generally I think they prefer out the heavy rain! lol!

For my run - I bought clear PVC from "The Range" for £2 per metre...and we screwed it on with washers...it allows the buns ot see out but stops the wind and rain. Its lasted all of last winter and the couple of holes - Ive ocvered with sticky tape lol! Its still great now...I can take pics if you want me to if thats easier...so that might be an option for you....you could still leave a seciton uncovered if you chose too.;)

I find that the buns "sometimes" use their snugglesafes....I see indentations on the hay where Ive laid the snugglesafe uerneath - so they do use them...but if they have a bunny friend to snuggle up too..they will be alot warmer. I swop my buns over so there is 1 bun by themselves every night..so I like ot know they have a heat source if they want.

Burrows are about 10 degree's...so in the wild of course they can survive...winter coats, warmer underground burrows away from draughts and rain and warmer temps...and of course they all snuggle together. I think they do cope better with cold than heat...but I personally feel better they have the option of the snuggle safe. They last a few hours...in fact the ones Ive put out lately are still warm the next morning.
Its personal..and of course older buns who have arthritic conditions etc I sure would appreciate them...though loads of peole dont use them and just use straw and hay...
I like them though..make me feel better!;):D

oh..just htought...if he usually lies in one place...make sure there is room for him to lay there without usingf the snugglesafe if he chooses..so the space is large enough for him to choose if he wants more warmth or not. :)

My Ollie will sit downstairs in all weather until i shoo him in! Bunnies know where the warmth in the hutch is so i'm sure they will go when they need to.

I have snugglesafes and my buns love them, they seem to stay warm for about 8 hours.

Back