• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering tomorrow UD- :)

Peterbunny

Mama Doe
Hi!

Peter is getting neutered tomorrow, Is there anything I should be aware of? I've read somewhere that post op he should spend the first night indoors? Is that correct? Also I am cleaning his hutch out tomorrow whilst he is at the vets, I usually put a very thin layer of wood shavings in the bottom of his hutch, should I not do this? I'm thinking about the dust upsetting his wound :(. He normally has straw / hay in his bedding area and newspaper, thin layer of shavings and hay in the main area.

Any tips would be great! I'm hoping the vet will fill me in when I have collected him but I want to be sorted with his hutch by then i.e moved it inside.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hiya :wave: yes he'll need to be indoors for 24 to 48 hrs because rabbits can't regulate their body temperature after an anaesthetic. We usually put Scarlet in a fairly cool room indoors with plenty of hay and keep an eye on her. You want to keep him not too cold but not hot either. I haven't ever had a rabbit operated on (Scarlet's GA's are for dental stuff) but I'd be inclined to use paper and hay to begin with, that's what I've done with rats when they've had surgery. Try not to worry too much tomorrow, he should be just fine.

I would ditch the shavings (though I would ditch them permanently personally:lol:) as they may stick to the wound.

When Geoff was castrated he was still living inside and I lovingly prepared his area with newspaper and vet bed which he completely ignored:roll:
He DID like the cardboard box with a whole cut out though. This was stuffed with hay and he spent a fair bit of time in there. By the next evening you couldn't tell anything had ever happened to him:thumb:

I am thinking of just getting rid of the shavings completely, replacing them with megazorb?? TBH he just flicks them around the place and they make a right mess :roll::lol:

Right, well I'll prepare a space in the house for him to live for the next couple of days :D

All went well!

Neutering went well :D

Apart from Peter being abit dozey last night, he was eating and drinking as soon as I got him home :D Such a relief

Back