• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on rain proofing this hutch/run combo please please(photos)?!

jazxo

Mama Doe
I had a totally sleepless night last night because it was extremely windy and pouring down with rain and it still is now. I need some advice on how to keep Pippin dry!

DSCN4069_zps65643ee7.jpg

DSCN4074_zpsdac66d96.jpg

DSCN4071_zps99815bcf.jpg

DSCN4073_zps5c466942.jpg

The hutch cover is such a pain, because I have the Runaround connection attaching the hutch and run it doesn't go right down to the floor, the hutch opens at the top (apex roof) and that's how I feed her and spot clean loads of times a day from there too. It also has such a snug fit so I can't just simply take it off and pop it on again as it has already ripped from me rushing. The run is my main concern though. She spends 90% of her time in there and loves it. I could shut her in the hutch but I really really don't want to because she messes everything up because she's frustrated and I know how much she loves the run. Even if she's getting wet (which worries me like crazy) she will still sit in there. The two green covers are good but are only really shower proof not good in wind and heavy rain. The towels are a temporary thing, I hate them and they must make it really cold in there because they're soaked. The wind is blowing the rain into the litter tray and the polka dot mat, which is her absolute favourite. The wind has blown all of the hay from the hay rack onto the floor so it's now soaked. She does of course have hay in her hutch though. All of the grass underneath the run is soaked. In the small run under the hutch she has an igloo (looks like this:http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_aju4GShIl...DAY/mUdMPs7UFdI/s400/Rabbit-Igloo-Hideout.jpg) and is bigger than you probably think but she barely used it.

Ideally what I want to do is completely cover the run so nothing can get in.

Please help :(

I've bought some tarpaulin from eBay and tent pegs because I'm in such a panic but now I don't if it's even going to cover the run :lol:

The only thing I can think - which is what we used before putting them in the garage - is a large polythene sheet weighted down with bricks.Leave some ventilation tho'. I got mine from ebay and you can get different thicknesses and sizes.

What I would do (bar buying a new hutch or playhouse or shed) would be to make that coop one into a hutch :) so there was one larger area she could have that would be warm and dry :) so make a floor and sides for it over the mesh (I don't know if it would be better inside the mesh).

Someone on here bought a hutch with a run under that was too small and they made it into one big hutch and added a run onto that :)

If you can't do that then double up the protection :p that's what I've done :lol: I have thick clear tarpauling we got off eBay but it leaked so we got some stuff from aldi and its fab :thumb: totally dry in the run :thumb: we weigh it down with bricks :)

In the winter I would use the corrugated plastic sheets to cover my runs as it keeps them dry and pretty wind proof. I'd cover two or three sides and the roof completely (screwed on so its nice and secure), and leave one side open for bun to be able to have a view.

With the hutches we usually put a double layer of bubble wrap all over the hutch and roof, underneath the hutch covers, to give additional insulation, but I can't quite work out how to do yours as the cover obscures the view of the hutch, so I can't tell what could be put in place "permanently" for winter, and what needs to be accessible.

Not much help really am I:lol:

Just want to say if your bunnies are out in those hutches at night, a fox may be able to dig underneath and get to them, if the hutches are just sitting on top of the grass? Don't want to add to your worry, but better to be safe than sorry!

The only thing I can think - which is what we used before putting them in the garage - is a large polythene sheet weighted down with bricks.Leave some ventilation tho'. I got mine from ebay and you can get different thicknesses and sizes.

This is what I'm thinking but with tent pegs, thank you.

What I would do (bar buying a new hutch or playhouse or shed) would be to make that coop one into a hutch :) so there was one larger area she could have that would be warm and dry :) so make a floor and sides for it over the mesh (I don't know if it would be better inside the mesh).

Someone on here bought a hutch with a run under that was too small and they made it into one big hutch and added a run onto that :)

If you can't do that then double up the protection :p that's what I've done :lol: I have thick clear tarpauling we got off eBay but it leaked so we got some stuff from aldi and its fab :thumb: totally dry in the run :thumb: we weigh it down with bricks :)

I would love to buy a new hutch, playhouse or shed so much. I really really like that idea but I think I'd be better off completely buying a new hutch, thanks a lot though :)

In the winter I would use the corrugated plastic sheets to cover my runs as it keeps them dry and pretty wind proof. I'd cover two or three sides and the roof completely (screwed on so its nice and secure), and leave one side open for bun to be able to have a view.

With the hutches we usually put a double layer of bubble wrap all over the hutch and roof, underneath the hutch covers, to give additional insulation, but I can't quite work out how to do yours as the cover obscures the view of the hutch, so I can't tell what could be put in place "permanently" for winter, and what needs to be accessible.

Not much help really am I:lol:

It's such a pain of a hutch! The main 'door' I use it the roof which opens up and the hutch cover doesn't let me open that :( So awkward :lol:

Just want to say if your bunnies are out in those hutches at night, a fox may be able to dig underneath and get to them, if the hutches are just sitting on top of the grass? Don't want to add to your worry, but better to be safe than sorry!

Don't be sorry at all! She is out at night but there is large mesh on the bottom of the hutch and run :)

No worries,this weather is such a pain ,we have a flagged back garden but there has been so much rain the run is full of water :(,hope you sort yours out xx

No worries,this weather is such a pain ,we have a flagged back garden but there has been so much rain the run is full of water :(,hope you sort yours out xx

It really is, I get worried sick about her and it seems like we're due rain here all week. Thank you, hope you do too! xx

Before we got a new hutch this year (which as of today we realised is leaking grrr) I was the same and kept ripping the hutch cover by rushing so I gaffa taped a tarp over the top, cutting out a hole for air, easy feeding and for their access but this worked brilliantly and I just used a pair scissors to cut it off and change them before re-taping it back on.

A roll of gaffa tape is cheap and at the end of the winter we just threw the tarp away and bought a new one. Worked out much better than the expensive cover... saying that we just bought a new one for the new hutch, lol, glutten for punishment :lol:

on another note, we asked this question yesterday about bunnies being out all the time even in the bad weather.... ours too have a nice dry hutch so why do they choose to sit in the wet?? and if they were bothered, would they not just move into the dry??

We had to lock ours away on the coldest nights last year because they just sat out and it really worried me, come snow, rain and freezing temperatures they just stayed out??? very odd!!

Hope you get her run dry soon.

Before we got a new hutch this year (which as of today we realised is leaking grrr) I was the same and kept ripping the hutch cover by rushing so I gaffa taped a tarp over the top, cutting out a hole for air, easy feeding and for their access but this worked brilliantly and I just used a pair scissors to cut it off and change them before re-taping it back on.

A roll of gaffa tape is cheap and at the end of the winter we just threw the tarp away and bought a new one. Worked out much better than the expensive cover... saying that we just bought a new one for the new hutch, lol, glutten for punishment :lol:

on another note, we asked this question yesterday about bunnies being out all the time even in the bad weather.... ours too have a nice dry hutch so why do they choose to sit in the wet?? and if they were bothered, would they not just move into the dry??

We had to lock ours away on the coldest nights last year because they just sat out and it really worried me, come snow, rain and freezing temperatures they just stayed out??? very odd!!

Hope you get her run dry soon.

I would totally do that but I'm sure it'd be impossible with my odd shaped hutch :(

Exactly! I would hope they would just move to their dry, warm places but I don't think Pippin understands that she's getting wet/cold/blown by the wind because she's not covered. Bless them :lol:

Thank you :)

I feel your pain worrying about them, I've only had ours 2/3 weeks and already I'm stressing about wet, frost, snow!! So te decision has been made (by me) that we are going to convert the shed for them :)

I feel your pain worrying about them, I've only had ours 2/3 weeks and already I'm stressing about wet, frost, snow!! So te decision has been made (by me) that we are going to convert the shed for them :)

Glad it's not just me! Oh I'm so jealous :( Hope it goes well :)

Back