• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

could be upsetting - when you lose a bun

little-laura

Wise Old Thumper
from a bonded pair and the other is left alone, how long would you leave it until you find another bun for your other bun. A friend of mine lost a bun two days ago and is going to a rescue tomorrow to find a bun for her male bun. She said her heart is aching and she is grieving but she cant stand watching her other bun search for the one that passed away and curling up on his own she said he seems sad not only for the loss but feeling lonely too as hes never been alone

I thought about this and if a bun was to pass away I dont know if I could bring another into my home that soon

Sometimes it's the best way to get another bun straight away, sometimes it's best to wait. I have done both.

I know it will depend on the the bun

I would probably get another bun asap for my other buns sake but I would probably need time....

I know it will depend on the the bun

I would probably get another bun asap for my other buns sake but I would probably need time....

Ill be Honest with you I didnt want another rabbit at all when Brian passed. I moped in bed snuggling poppet for 3 days straight.
Ive yet to Bond Poppet with Oliver But when we got him it took me till now (1 month later) to bond with him myself:cry:

Some have bonded with a new friend 24 hours after a bereavement

Some have taken more than 2 years

Every case will be unique, there is no 'one size fits all' or 'too soon'/ 'not soon enough'

What Jane says. I've had a bun die very soon after losing her partner and I've no idea why. She just wasn't interested in life after he went. I should've bonded her immediately but I was all quarantine-y at the time

Due to moving, or rather,I was going to move, I was gonna wait till end of Feb after losing Lily-Shane.
But BB had other ideas.He was self mutilating, hiding, acting really lost and hurt, so it was 6 weeks after Lils.
The bond was so easy.He FLUNG himself at Little Miss, so desperate was he for bunny company.

There doesn't seem to be any one size fits all answer.

I don't want to get a new bunny if I can help it. It feels like I'm replacing him which I know isn't the case but right now I just can't. Plus in the long term four rabbits is a but too much for me physically and financially. Mini doesn't seem to want another bunny at the moment either. She kept lunging at the lionheads when I tried a trio which then snowballed into fights. She's very much keeping herself to herself in the afternoons but is coming out more to see humans in the evenings.

Ultimately i guess you can only try them with other bunnies and if it becomes obvious they aren't ready, then, well, they aren't ready.

I agree with every bun being different, and although I've not had any experience myself I don't imagine getting a new rabbit would necessarily stop a rabbit looking for it's partner, any more than meeting a new person would stop us missing a friend if they died.

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer really.

Alfie is terribly lonely and, even though it's only been 3 days since we lost Bubbles, I know that he needs company. Or maybe he just wants Bubbles back, I don't know. :( I don't feel ready for another bunny myself, and I don't have any enthusiasm in searching the local rescues, but I'm doing it because I think it's what Alfie needs and his needs come before mine.

I would just do whatever was right for the bunny, which may be quickly, or it may be a while. Equally, if I needed to leave a quarantine time, then it would be longer than potentially would be best for my bunny but it would be better for any other bunny I brought in.

I have, however, with the most vulnerable pair I have here, already put them into a trio (many years ago), in preparation for losing one, to try and not leave that sad time when the bunny is friendless.

I personally have plans and ideas for any/most scenarios and my most dreaded, but potentially now very real scenario, is that both Dopeys will go very close together, leaving little Lighters by himself. Not sure who he would be bonded with then though. So I'll do whatever I have to for him, but I find it very easy to put their needs first and foremost because that's the only way I can live/function.

Whilst I find the loss of a rabbit very hard, I find it equally as hard seeing the remaining bun on their own.

All of my rabbits have had companionship all of their lives, and as far as possible I'd wish to keep it that way.

Alfie is terribly lonely and, even though it's only been 3 days since we lost Bubbles, I know that he needs company. Or maybe he just wants Bubbles back, I don't know. :( I don't feel ready for another bunny myself, and I don't have any enthusiasm in searching the local rescues, but I'm doing it because I think it's what Alfie needs and his needs come before mine.

That's my dilemma too. How do you know if it's them grieving or them feeling lonely?

This is pretty much where I am right now. The first few days after losing Timmy, it was just awful seeing Pickle on his own, it was so upsetting seeing him look for Timmy when I opened the door. Pickle is hopefully going on a date in 2 weeks time, by then he will have been on his own for 4 weeks. His behaviour has changed and I feel he is bored and lonely, so as much as I miss Tim I want Pickle to be happy. I feel better for having a "plan" in place for Pickle now.

Back