• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wire Floors?

Unfortunately, a lot of breeders in the US (not well learned american owners/rescues) will use wire floor cages, as they are easier to clean out fo rthem.

I hate them.

Gives them sore feet and I imagine they would be very uncomfortable and draughty if it was outside, even if there was a pile of hay between rabbit and wire. I find them pointless tbh. It's not hard to clean up after a rabbit if the flooring isn't wire.

Also if it was wire and there was a tray or nothing under the wire, then it would attract more bugs and things so I imagine fly strike would be a bigger risk. If it wasn't cleaned up properly.

Last edited:
caecals are an essential part of the diet and may fall through a wire floor
wire floors can cause sore hocks.
wire floors don't provide any insulation
claws may get caught on wire floors
Unless it is a very fine mesh that droppings would be far too big to fall through, a wire floor will be uncomfortable and most likely painful.

I've heard the hygiene argument for wire floors but so long as the rabbits are properly cared for a solid floor should pose no problems.

No wire floor in the wild......
Nuff said IMO

Also it is easy to say the buns are happy when they are given no alternative and no option to choose for themselves :(

If it is not uncomfortable for the buns then why do they say that is would be nice to have a solid resting place for the rabbit?

Also I remember the day that I accidently stood on a wire mesh panel and it hurt like mad. I would not put anything through that for the sake of sweeping up a bit of poop.

If only rabbits could talk and tell us what they think!

The entirety of the "counter arguments" I've encountered have been:

1. It's easier to clean out
2. We did a lot of research before we decided to have rabbits

Neither of those are valid arguments for wire floors. The second one is just a "I read some outdated literature that said it was ok, and I can't be bothered to change my set up so I'm going to say I did research and act like you're the one who doesn't know anything about rabbits".

They're just bad. If a rabbit is on a wire floor and it gets spooked it can break bones. Best case scenario it's a single toe (which is still one toe too many), worst case scenario a leg/ pelvic injury which would severely affect mobility.

"It's easier to clean out" is pure laziness. It's what's best for you, not the rabbit, which is never the right way to approach animal care.

Well I'm far from being a rabbit expert, but I've seen these things and they look evil.

I have one simple rule for keeping any animal.... If its good enough for me it's good enough for my pet, if I wouldn't like it then why would I expect an animal too- and I don't care about the fact that they are different to us and dont have the same needs etc etc, until someone can speak RABBIT or any animal for that matter then we don't know how they feel!!!

I can't imagine walking around all day on mesh, ooouch!!!

And what about lying down, god that would be like sleeping on springs from a mattress without the rest of the mattress!!

I agree, LAZY!!

x

Back