• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rain-proofing?!

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
Helloo :wave:

Has been constantly hammering it down since 10am yesterday with rain, our garden is waterlogged and flooding. I'm worried about Roobear and Alf's enclosure. water is collecting on their floor because they are totally open to the weather, and as well as soaking/ruining everything i'm worried that the water will keep rising and rising. It's not very deep at all right now, but it is deffo collecting and I don't know what to do:? the rain shows NO sign of stopping until tomorrow afternoon - earliest! They have a hutch but they use that as their littertray and they're spending all day on the roof of their hutch (its only one storey) therefore not having access to water/hay which is my main concern :? So basically I'm wondering if any of yous have ideas, relatively cheap ones, to stop rain getting in! this is their first winter in this enclosure so i have no clue!
pic of their enclosure a few weeks back:
Alfie-Rosysetup004.jpg
[/IMG]

The front of mine is totally closed off with a big sheet of perspex held on with butterfly clips and I have rubber matting on the floors

Or u could use a clear tarpolin sheet to cover the front with bricks on the bottom to hold it down

Looks fab :)

What Wendle said, if you can get some perspex then that would work well :) or tarpauling, we have thick clear stuff we got off eBay but the mesh on the run poked holes in it :roll: so on top of that we have black tarpauling from aldi which works fab. It's darker in the run but it's dry!

I would put a tarp over for now but they freak when it blows and it's quite gusty here. The only thing about perspex is it is quite expensive, and I don't know where the cheapest place to get it is?! I've had to clear everything out of their enclosure because everything is getting soaked, ros decides to chuck all her toys right where the rain gets them :roll: my other rabbit's run is covered in tarp and her hutch is perspexed, but she's got a simple doublestorey hutch and run so not that big, whereas theirs is gonna be a mammoth task... and expensive, we may not be able to afford it tbh! :shock:

the joys of rain :roll:

Will talk with dad when he's finished work about persepxing it, they were supposed to be getting a new hutch today but there is no way I am going to stand in the rain moving their hutches out and putting a new one in!

I've just been out and I didn't realize how much water had collected, there was a lot!I've literally cleaned up a whole rubbish bag's worth of hay/litter that got wet :evil: also i've put up a huuuuuge tarpaulin over the front for the time being but little alfie is hating it, even tho i've tried to secure it down as much as i can it still blows and makes a lot of noise which is terrifying for Alf! Ros doesnt have a care in the world, she's just trying to eat the string that i tied it down with :roll: :lol: I don't like using it either though cus I can't see them and it's gone rather dark in there now :cry:

Rain, rain, go away, come aga- on seconds thought, don't. :evil:

Back