• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Need advice please..

skippersmom

Warren Scout
Hello,

i have recently acquired myself a third rabbit, which i believe to be a female (although its hard to tell as shes quite fluffy and does NOT like to be held long enough for me to have a good look) she has been sneezing quite a bit lately, and her poohs do not seem healthy, the best way to describe how they look (im unable upload pictures at the moment) would be, if you remember as a child those black "coal" candies they used to sell that came in those small burlap sacks? it looks just like those !

candy-coal.jpg

now they dont always look like these, only when she starts doing her bunny 500 and running about. sometimes, her pooh is also very large. It is never consistant like my other two, although, most poohs do look healthy for the most part, i would say about 30% of them are strange looking though.

What could those two things have in common, and, other than taking her to a vet (which i WILL be doing !!) is there anything i can do in the mean time? Here in toronto bunny vets are a hard thing to find, i have a GREAT one however, because shes so great, its hard to get an appointment with her quick.

So you get a better idea of what my new bunny (penelope - but we call her nell- lop - because of her loppy ears :love: ) i will give you some info on her care so far.

I work at a petsmart (yes i know, boo-hiss, :p ) and she was dropped off on one of the hottest days we had this summer (45 degrees with the humidex..) and left in front of the store, outside, for god knows how long in a tiny 32" cage that was dirty as anything, she had iceberg lettuce and celery in her cage along with a note written by, what looked like a child, saying "this is our bunny we are going on vacation please take care of her"
i was disgusted!! she was dirty and needed a lot of care, i immediately gave her a bath when i took her home and let her run around, i had NEVER in my life seen a bunny binky like she did the first time i let her run, it was honestly like she had never been out of her cage before. She is also full of kisses, needless to say shes happy to be free range now.

she lives in my bedroom with me, free range during my time home, when im not shes in a 6 x 4 x 3 pen/cage/c&c contraption i made.
she is fed oxbow adult, as im not really sure her age, although due to her growth i'd say shes still a baby. She is fed a mixture of zupreem timothy, oxbow oat, orchard & organic meadow hay.she gets greens everyday, and a carrot every other day or so (sometimes i will skip another day). she is extremely active, and still the biggest binky-er ive ever seen. she loves to be pet but absolutely hates to have her back feet leave the ground.

im assuming her issues are due to some underlaying malnutrition in her baby years from her previous neglectful owners, causing her to have lasting damage. which i seriously hope i can reverse...

any ideas would be much appreciated :)

There are so many possible causes of the poo issue that a hands on examination really is needed to give more detailed information.

Given her history of previous neglect, the sneezing and the signs of GI tract hypomotility I would say that Dental issues are a real possibility. But as I said, without an examination we can only offer guesses. If it is Dental then treatment and a good hay based diet may well improve things even if the actual Dental issue ends up being a chronic condition.

Good luck at the Vets

thanks guys!! its so frustrating for me because i want to get her all fixed up but its going to be oct 5th before i can bring her in!! :evil:
Im worried its something contagious and that my bunnies or guineas will get sick (she is isolated in my room, but you never know..)

poor girl, i never thought of dental !!!! she eats her hay like a little monster but maybe its possible!

shes got the most amazing personality, as we speak shes playing her "tunnel game"

she will sit at the end of her crinkle tunnel and sniff it and rub it with her chin, then all of a sudden with a huge burst of energy she FLIES through the tunnel, then turns around and starts sniffing/chin rubbing the other end, then flies through again.. she'll go on with this for hours, running and hopping about. shes SO full of energy!!! its madness!!!

This is the nell-lop :)
418611_3478909185577_1273282373_n.jpg

Back