• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pimp my crate!! help setting up for a bun!

sarattie

Alpha Buck
As seen on my precious threads I'm am getting a 36" crate for a free range bun and adding a might time pen.

Please - I would really appreciate some ideas and must haves to add to my dog crate to make it bun fun!

I don't want to make up base space with too much clutter and like the idea of adding a shelf but all the pics on here are of larger crates so I don't knowing that's even an option....

All ideas appreciated!!!

Ooh I've been studying that thread!! It looks much bigger than 3 ft!

How did you find the full shelf? I've seen some half ones without ramps.. not sure which work better?

Looks fab!

Yeah fine, it wasn't very high but they only used it for sleeping. They're only small bunnies anyway. It was quite cosy and they did enjoy sleeping there but then they suddenly decided instead to sleep next to my bed and used it less and less. It was also a pain to clean and a bit in the way so in the end I got rid of it as the room was already bunnyproofed.

198756_10151058474226994_513744669_n.jpg

been a long time since I uploaded a photo to a forum like this! But i think i have the tabs right.

George, as he's now been named, is coming home from his neuter later. Crate arrived this morning so this is how ive set it up for now.
I have a shelf being made up which I will add once he has fully recovered..

Now he's been neutered and officially has a home, I hope no one comes to claim this stray bunny!!

ah ha! would appear that they aren't the tags then!! lol

oh well I hope you can access the link anyway!

Edited to add. fixed.

Looks very nice, this is how I have mine set up until I can figure out how to get the second level up. How are you doing it, may I ask?

Im making the shelf out of one piece of MDF or Plywood, then adding batons for strength and support.

Im either going to have the batons slightly longer and make a notch to hook on to the crate bars, or Im going to add a hook on to the corners to hook it over. Once I have it sorted Ill post pics. I want it removeable though so i can still collapse the crate or take it out should i need to...

Im making the shelf out of one piece of MDF or Plywood, then adding batons for strength and support.

Im either going to have the batons slightly longer and make a notch to hook on to the crate bars, or Im going to add a hook on to the corners to hook it over. Once I have it sorted Ill post pics. I want it removeable though so i can still collapse the crate or take it out should i need to...

That's exactly what I want, too. I've read that MDF isn't good for bunnies, though, the glue is poisonous if they get into it.
Also where are you getting the wood? I keep hearing people say 'get a bit of wood' and I'm thinking 'WHERE do I get this wood?! Do they stockpile it in secret locations I'm not aware of?'. My dad has been promising to do it but he's been poorly so I'll have to get OH to step up, haha.

My friend is a carpenter and can get bits of wood here and there! I've asked for ply if it's not too thin.

Have you tried places like wicks and b&q?

I tried Wickes but it was really expensive and I don't have one near me (we don't drive). Will have a look in B&Q. I should probably learn to do basic DIY stuff, lol. Good luck with your crate, keep up updated :)

Back