• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Found out what is wrong with Barney -advice?

nessar

Warren Veteran
I havent had the time to make a long post, so a bit late in doing this, but on Monday Barney went into the vets to have diagnostics. A bit of background info: Barney is a snuffles bun and a dental bun, but both are mild, his main issue has been weightloss, going on for a year and getting steadily worse to the point that it has become a real struggle now. My old vet wasnt much help, saw another who didnt seem to have any idea what was wrong, and now I've got this new vet, who thankfully seems clued up.

On Monday he had a dental, an ultrasound, an xray, full blood tests, a tear duct flushing and of course an examination.

He had small spurs on his teeth, but they werent causing an issue and the vet believes that they arent contributing to his issues, and that his past issues and dentals may have even been misdiagnosed, the not eating properly being caused by the issues she found instead.

From ultrasound and then xray she found:
He has an awful lot of gas and liquid in the stomach and the gastrointestinal tract.
There was hardly any poo in his gut.
His stomach is much bigger than it should be and the lining of his stomach is thick and sore.
His bladder was really tiny.
He has very little body fat.

From blood tests:
CK (muscle hormone or muscle enzyme, cant remember the name of it) - raised - could indicate muscle atrophy due to malnutrition but also could be tension due to handling
LDH (liver enzyme) - raised - probably gut related as the liver looked fine on xray
Mild anemia - possibly due to malnutrition
Low number of white blood cells - again possibly malnutrition and could also explain his chronic snuffles

I have the vets notes from that day and the blood test results if anyone wants to see them.

So the vet has prescribed a gut stimulant, its called Emeprid but on his notes she calls it metaclop. The plan is to get the gut working better, and try and get the gas and liquid out. He had 2ml 3 times a day, and he had a checkup on Saturday where he had a lot more poo in his gut, but his poos are a bit darker and are a bit smelly and shiny, so that has now been reduced to twice a day. He is also on profibre pellets for probiotics. She is getting me to reduce his SS junior pellets slowly now (he was getting 3 large handfuls a day to try and get him to maintain weight), to try and get him to eat more hay, in the hope that this will get the gut healthier, I have another check up in 2 weeks.

So yes, quite a complex issue I'm thinking! We know what the problems are now, but we dont know what is causing it. Vet also says that due to the blood tests results there is a possibility of inflammation and bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract, but we cant rule out a bone marrow abnormality. My boy is very poorly indeed inside!

Last edited:
I have no idea but I didn't want to read and run. I will however send many vibes to Barney, and to you. I hope someone with more knowledge/ experience sees this.

Blimey, that sounds quite complex - poor Barney.

My only contribution would be that if the Metaclop doesn't do the trick ask for Cisapride.
Its the main gut stimulant we use at the sanctuary as its proven to us to be the most effective, far better than any of the others we have tried.

I hope Barneys condition picks up. I have a few older buns who are very difficult to manage in terms of maintaining weigh and healthy guts - its very frustrating - they are such complex little things.

Thank you both. I have felt strongly for a long time that Barney's problems were linked, and this vet thinks that it is possible. The anemia, low white blood cells, bad skin on his ears, weightloss and low immune system (not being able to fight snuffles) could all be due to malnutrition due to his poorly gut. Of course they may not be, but malnutrition is certainly not helping, which is why we are focussing on getting his gut healthier. The low white blood cell count did seem to puzzle my vet.

Thanks for the links Jane, I am hoping that because Barney doesnt get diarrhea (sp?) that that disease is unlikely, mainly because I'm really hoping that it is not that, as there seems to be no mention of a cure on those pages, only a drug that can help.

I will ask my vet about that other gut stimulant and that disease when I see her in a couple of weeks.

I've not posted about this stuff before, but have a look into slippery elm bark powder.

The stuff is a miracle worker as far as i am concerned. It is simply powdered bark from the slippery elm and is one of natures most amazing things;)

I can't copy and past from this stupid computer but if you want to try it the 2 places I trust in order of preference are.....

Star child ltd in Glastonbury
Dorwest herbs tree bark powder (90% slippery elm 10% poplar)

I cannot vouch for the quality of the stuff elsewhere but you want the real deal and alot of companies eke it out with talc:evil:

You can get it in tablet form, but i have never had such good results.

The stuff ain't cheap but it lasts for ages and is easy to syringe and alot of buns will eat the gloop as it is.

You mix the powder with some warm water and wait.... then it turns to a mucousy jelly that looks vile but is oh so soothing to a poorly tum. if you need it runnier simply add more warm water.
I have used it, my father used it and the gastric ulcers he suffered from for 30 years dissapeared for good in a week:shock::shock:

I have used it to rear babies of most species and given it to my buns.

Obviously run it by your vet, but as this stuff is harmless and is very nourishing and healing as well I don't see it could do any harm;)

Poor Barney :(

We have emeprid on hand at home all the time due to Ginger's issues, it is metaclop under a different brand name http://www.ceva.co.uk/en/Products/Products-list/Emeprid :wave: A dose of that and metacam and a few hours later we're normally back to 'normal' - whatever that is :)

I'd also add to the list of suggestions - echinacea - it's an immune system booster, totally natural - obviously run it by your vet first, but if he has low white blood cells (Ginger has this too!) it's meant to help, although it didnt for us, but so many others have had great success with it!

Loads of vibes :wave:

Have no advice to add - but just wanted to send get well soon vibes - hope he gets sorted out now you know what the issues are.

Thanks again everyone for your well wishes:wave:

I will ask my vet about the slippery elm bark powder, thanks Geoff's people.

He is already on echinacea everyday long term, Graham, but thank you, I would have reccommended it myself. He just gets a tablet in with his pellets.

If the vet agrees for you to try it, then I would order from one of the 2 places I suggested.
I have been looking around for an easier source and thought I had stumbled upon a good supply. Holland and barret slippery elm food..... till I turned the pack round and found it's 50% wheat flour:evil::evil::evil: so please do make sure to get the unadulterated stuff! it won't work if it is the cheap rubbish:thumb:

Barney is drinking loads and weeing loads :? his litter tray is soaking every day at the moment, I'm changing it every 12 hours. Is this a side effect of the gut stimulant does anyone know?

And his hay consumption isnt great either. He is also feeling thin, although I cant weigh him at home.

I think I might need to ring the vets tomorrow :?

Just sending vibes!

Can you try plantain or brambles or other high fibre forage. It's the fibre in the hay that's important to help the gut so they might help if he's willing to eat them.

"nessar has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."
:oops: I guess everyone is sending love and +ve vibes.

Hi nessar,

Sorry your Barney is so poorly.
I am also poorly and too tired to post properly.

Wondered if stuff below might be worth trying.

"The action of oreganum/Entracare is to loosen this intestinal mucosa and lift it away from the intestine, it is then passed out in the faeces, flushing with it all the pathogens that are present in the mucosa... pathogen counts go right down and the animal improves in health because it is no longer fighting and feeding the pathogen population. The good bacteria then have a chance to multiply and an improved immune system is hopefully achieved."

For more info read Post 17 http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?355186-still-ongoing-issues-I-could-cry/page2/5559869

Seeing the vet again tomorrow, I think he has lost more weight and his eyes are weeping a lot, so his snuffles is acting up. He is now 7 days overdue for his vhd vaccination, and I'm not sure if he is well enough to have it.

Yes, he had his kidney function tested and it seems fine :) that and his liver seem to be the only healthy things in him!

I'm not sure about that Entracare stuff, it may be worth a shot but I'm reluctant to try anything that isnt widely used, as we dont actually know the cause of Barney's problems, and I wouldnt want to use anything that isnt understood well medically, in case of upsetting things further. His diet and treatment at the moment is such a balancing act.

Jenova - yes, I have been feeding plantain although only once a week or so, I'm afraid to use greens that I cant buy, as I dont want to get reliant on something which isnt going to be around in the winter, and I dont have the space to dry things myself where I am at the moment. I can get dried plantain from the hay experts though, so I guess that would be a good substitute for the stuff from the garden.

Never mind I need to read posts better!!! :?

I hope Barney feels much better soon xxx

Back