• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So worried about Pippin outside in the pouring rain tonight :(

jazxo

Mama Doe
I know she has shelter but I can't help but feel SO guilty. Makes me miss having to cool her down on the really sunny days!
It's windy and pouring down here in Essex and she's probably out in her run not tucked up in hay in her hutch or litter tray. Surely it's not just me that feels like this? Or do you guys completely cover the whole structure so nothing can get wet?

I know she has shelter but I can't help but feel SO guilty. Makes me miss having to cool her down on the really sunny days!
It's windy and pouring down here in Essex and she's probably out in her run not tucked up in hay in her hutch or litter tray. Surely it's not just me that feels like this? Or do you guys completely cover the whole structure so nothing can get wet?

I shut mine in the hutch at night, but as long as you've provided somewhere warm and dry she will be fine - she knows when she is too cold and wet!

Does she have a friend?

I used to shut her in but she adores her run so I think the benefits outweigh the risks with that, for me and her anyway. I do hope so. She doesn't have a friend at the moment unfortunately, she's only 5 months and hasn't been spayed yet and I'm still living at home with parents and I've been limited to one rabbit. It's such a shame but as soon as she can, she will have a friend. That would give me a lot more piece of mind actually!

I shut mine in the hutch at night, but as long as you've provided somewhere warm and dry she will be fine - she knows when she is too cold and wet!

Does she have a friend?

I used to shut her in but she adores her run so I think the benefits outweigh the risks with that, for me and her anyway. I do hope so. She doesn't have a friend at the moment unfortunately, she's only 5 months and hasn't been spayed yet and I'm still living at home with parents and I've been limited to one rabbit. It's such a shame but as soon as she can, she will have a friend. That would give me a lot more piece of mind actually!

I'm just paranoid and sleep better with them in their hutch :lol: It's a 6ft one, they happily go home at bedtime and I get peace of mind :lol: It is silly, because they are allowed in the attached run during the day when I'm sure predators are just as likely really!

I'm sure she'll love having a friend in the future, good company and good for keeping warm :thumb:

I'm just paranoid and sleep better with them in their hutch :lol: It's a 6ft one, they happily go home at bedtime and I get peace of mind :lol: It is silly, because they are allowed in the attached run during the day when I'm sure predators are just as likely really!

I'm sure she'll love having a friend in the future, good company and good for keeping warm :thumb:

It's not silly at all! I'd be the same but she hates being stuck in there, she totally destroyed all of her bedding and pretty much everything in her hutch when I used to shut her in at night. She would also be quite aggressive too. It's a hutch with a run underneath too but I guess she just likes her freedom!

My four have access to their run attached to their shed 24/7 I have covered half of it to give them some shelter though. They will decide when they are too wet or cold and if the run is predator proof enough for the day then it should be for night too

It's not silly at all! I'd be the same but she hates being stuck in there, she totally destroyed all of her bedding and pretty much everything in her hutch when I used to shut her in at night. She would also be quite aggressive too. It's a hutch with a run underneath too but I guess she just likes her freedom!

Ooops :lol: Maybe she will relax a bit after her spay. Hope the rain eases off soon!

My four have access to their run attached to their shed 24/7 I have covered half of it to give them some shelter though. They will decide when they are too wet or cold and if the run is predator proof enough for the day then it should be for night too

That's good to hear. It's totally predator proof, unfortunately tried and tested as we've had foxes in the garden recently :( The top of the run is totally covered and the sides are mainly covered but the wind blows the rain through the uncovered bits. Thanks for the reassurance.

I wouldn't worry. They live outside in the wild, with no lovely hay and straw to keep them warm whilst they eat. Sonic sits in the rain all the time, he like it :roll:

I know, all logic says they can have the run at night, but they are ok with humouring me in their roomy hutch for now. I'm saving for a new run, maybe that will make the difference :lol:

Mine have that purple igloo too and never ever go in it! I think they like the fact the stool has 4 exits lol x

Mine have that purple igloo too and never ever go in it! I think they like the fact the stool has 4 exits lol x

Well I only put it in there yesterday when it started to rain but so far she's preferring to sit in the corner of her run that has no shelter at the sides :lol: x

Mine prefer to be outside so I have entirely covered their run with polythene sheeting so it stays totally dry. Only because Daphne gets sore hocks in the wet. They do have to brave the elements to get from shed to run through 12ft of mesh runaround tunnel. Before I covered it they were perfectly happy to sit in the rain, it's just her feet that are the problem. Freddie tends to come rushing out into the tunnel when he hears the rain but today it's pretty heavy so they haven't ventured out yet.

Back